Clays with a .410??

KB1

I'm thinking of getting my youngest boy into shooting clays and was considering starting him with a .410. Having never shot one in my life I wondered if anyone can shed some light on how much the .410 differs from a 12 or 20 Bore on clays? or indeed if they are suited for clays….?

I have always been a bit doubtful of starting a youngster on a 410 however there are some excellent shotguns on the market today specifically designed for youngsters ..Yilditz do a junior version of their O/U and more importantly they have a choice of three different chokes. I had a 410 as my first shotgun back in the early 1950s and it was a Parker Hale conversion with a very tight full choke and I found treating it as a rifle and crawling and stalking rabbits was a better chance of success. The most important part of starting a youngster off is instant gratification...they need to see that clay break, so they should be set up to do just that.

So, yes taking all I have said into account, buying the right gun which fits him and has a choice of choking then go ahead. Start him on some really easy clays and you can get some two inch shells and then slowly build up as he becomes more confident.

Edited by Walker570

First of all, what age and build is he?

I was using a SxS 410 from 8 years to 12 years and then went straight on to a 12 SxS.

410 work fine but make sure gun is at most half choke (0.395 to 0.405 muzzle diameter) and pellet size is No 7.5 to No 9 (Eley Trap).

For the 410 the 7.5 cartridge would also work as a game cartridge due to the close range a 410 is used at.

First of all, what age and build is he?

I was using a SxS 410 from 8 years to 12 years and then went straight on to a 12 SxS.

410 work fine but make sure gun is at most half choke (0.395 to 0.405 muzzle diameter) and pellet size is No 7.5 to No 9 (Eley Trap).

For the 410 the 7.5 cartridge would also work as a game cartridge due to the close range a 410 is used at.

Thanks for all the good advice everyone…...

He's 8 years old, and thats why I thought a .410 might be better than a 20 bore; don't want to scare him off with too much recoil.

Mine is a similar age and has been shooting a .410 for a couple of years now.... good little gun (Yildiz with cut down stock) but getting to the stage where we're considering a lightweight 28 (and more open chokes) as a step up to a 20 would, in my view, be too much for him.

I was out with Blue Barrels on a fun clay shoot a few years ago. I was in deep trouble with back pain, so took the 410. We had a cracking stand on the driven pheasant and a chap approached me insisting to buy my gun!! He was ready to part with grand and we teased him a bit until I eventually confessed it was 500 quids worth of Yilditz!

Old Farrier, gave BB and me the most memorable day on the clays, and at a point, he produced his 410, for a giggle, and we busted some very long distance clays. Of course he wiped our eyes with his skill, and was blowing some seriously high clays apart! Was a fantastic day with a true gentleman, thanks again OF!

My point is, never underestimate a 410, most chaps, including me go back to one later in life, as well as the 12's and 20's.

I personally feel, its a fantastic calibre, young and older. But for the youngsters, its easy on them, and makes them understand the need for range estimation, clean effective kills and accuracy. Of course, a 20 or 12 with light loads will produce results, but for the fun factor, you can't beat a 410.

There are a lot of posts on here from grown ups (haha) who have had cracking days out decoying with a 410, including mine. Get him one, and when he feels the need to prove he is a "Real Man" get him a 12g, snatch it back and have some fun!!! :good:

Atb

T33

Edited by turbo33

Hi, yes a .410 is a great tool for introducing youngsters to the sport and more than capable of smashing clays .my advice would be to take your lad to the gunshop or ground and get him to try mounting a few guns I would always advise starting kids when they are comfortable mounting a gun rather than age .. like others have said the yildiz guns are great , light short barrels and multichoked and the best thing is there built on a dedicated scale down true .410 action , rather than a 28 or 20 bore action like most cheaper makes . Result being nice , slim bodied , light and well ballanced. Webley and Scott also do a nice affordable one .. if your a sxs advicate there a bargains to be had there too on the second hand market . I was made to carry a unloaded .410 out on rough days as a very young child for a season and it taught me lots about gun safety and muzzle awareness before even getting the chance to have a shot at live game. So in my opinion the for .410 is a brillant tool to introduce kids to the sport . Like others have said it's worth moving them up the calibres as soon as they're ready to keep them progressing :)

I know you are asking regarding a child, but I once went to watch the .410 world championships in mid Wales.

Serious shooters, breaking some serious clays.

I have related this story on here before, on the day I seemed to attract a lot of new best friends and was aware of people eyeballing me. At the time I was wearing splints on both wrists due a bad time of carpal tunnel. It all made sense when someone commented that I was unable to shoot this year was I, but well done for last year. Apparently I was a look alike double of last year's winner.

My moment of fame.

Hi

There a different gun from a 12

Best to try one yourself see how you get on with it then decide on suitability for your son

More than capable on clays just a lot more challenging to shoot

Ohh

And I never yet found a kid that didn't want to shoot one and had a few put in respectable scores with them

Suggest 3inch chambers and multi choke or at least open bored

All the best

Of