Older Miroku o/u - help with confirming model and possible age?

jorbor

Hello,

Have acquired an older Miroku o/u, said to be a model 800 of unknown age and curious as I am I am trying to find out more about the gun.

Based on the attached pictures can it be positively identified as a Miroku 800 model?

As for age it would be nice if it had followed the Miroku / Browning standard of including mfg year in the serial number (character coded) but obviously this gun is older than that.

Pieces of information has led me to believe that the gun is manufactured before 1975/76/77 sometime (based on when I think Browning/Miroku possibly introduced the mfg year identification in their serial numbers as well as indication of when Miroku seized production of the 800 model).

Could anyone shed some more light on;
During what years Miroku actually manufactured the 800 model?

The year when also Miroku introduced the mfg year identification in their serial numbers?

One final thing regarding the stamps; while I think I can pick out most of the stamps and their menings I am curious about the "2 15" stamps visible in one of the pictures, any idea what this can signify?

(more, and also larger, pictures are available)

...and yes, I am aware that getting more info on the gun itself will not cure the largest issue when it comes to it hitting those clay pigeons - I simply need to practice more.. :)

post-81095-0-15091200-1506408339_thumb.jpg

post-81095-0-36309900-1506408339_thumb.jpg

post-81095-0-57677000-1506408339_thumb.jpg

post-81095-0-74561500-1506408339_thumb.jpg

post-81095-0-93362200-1506408339_thumb.jpg

post-81095-0-09289300-1506408340_thumb.jpg

post-81095-0-31628900-1506408340_thumb.jpg

800 ORE v sprung action late 60s early 70s bomb proof guns well made guns just check the proof measurements they where prone to rusting pitting if not kept immaculately clean many have been lapped out and thus are out of proof. It's not a big problem as the barrel walls are quite thick but if it's out of proof it must be sent for Re proofing also v springs can fail but it's not too hard to make replacements. I'm a big fan of early bc miroku guns I have one just like it I also have a presedent G12 witch is the other end of the spectrum 🤙🏻

800 ORE v sprung action late 60s early 70s bomb proof guns well made guns just check the proof measurements they where prone to rusting pitting if not kept immaculately clean many have been lapped out and thus are out of proof. It's not a big problem as the barrel walls are quite thick but if it's out of proof it must be sent for Re proofing also v springs can fail but it's not too hard to make replacements. I'm a big fan of early bc miroku guns I have one just like it I also have a presedent G12 witch is the other end of the spectrum

Thanks for indeed confirming that this would be a 800 model (or rather 800 ORE) :)

Also sent a PM with some more questions (hope this is ok).

+Proof marks should tell the age . One problem with some of these early guns was that when submitted for proof and the barrels were measured with a plug gauge , was that the .729" plug did not enter then they were marked as .717". Not realizing , in the good old days of imperial , that the metric sizes were .728" . AS a result there were quite a lot of Miroku''s that are virtually out of proof .After this problem was found out an intermediate plug was used and the bore was marked to the nearest up or down . As a result you may find a gun marked at .729" that actually measures .727 .

@Westley: You are correct; I am located in Sweden and guess this gun has not been imported via Britain, hence no British proof marks (think I managed to include all stamps/markings in the photos(?))

@Gunman: Do you know if all the Miroku 800s were .728"?

Reason for asking is that while the stamps on the gun indicates 1/1 // 1/2 chokes the gun was measured in a gun shop with a plug gauge and that indicated chokes being 1/2 // 1/4-1/8. I know that the plug gauge only measures the barrel opening diameter though while choke would be the _relation_ between barrel diameter and opening diameter.

(I intend to test shoot the gun properly and count the pellets to determine the choke, haven't gotten around to it yet though...)

Out of curiousity; where on a shotgun would British proof marks be placed?

@Westley: You are correct; I am located in Sweden and guess this gun has not been imported via Britain, hence no British proof marks (think I managed to include all stamps/markings in the photos(?))

@Gunman: Do you know if all the Miroku 800s were .728"?

Reason for asking is that while the stamps on the gun indicates 1/1 // 1/2 chokes the gun was measured in a gun shop with a plug gauge and that indicated chokes being 1/2 // 1/4-1/8. I know that the plug gauge only measures the barrel opening diameter though while choke would be the _relation_ between barrel diameter and opening diameter.

(I intend to test shoot the gun properly and count the pellets to determine the choke, haven't gotten around to it yet though...)

Out of curiousity; where on a shotgun would British proof marks be placed?

The bore sizes varied as I remember some were at.728" /18.5mm others I have seen came in at 724"/18.4mm . I dont think they were so fussy back then . To be honest .004" in bore size will make very little difference to the choke IMHO for normal shooting .

The bore sizes varied as I remember some were at.728" /18.5mm others I have seen came in at 724"/18.4mm . I dont think they were so fussy back then . To be honest .004" in bore size will make very little difference to the choke IMHO for normal shooting .

So, test the choke by shooting + counting pellets and then I will know (more) about the chokes.

Regardless I reckon I'll be the limiting factor (rather than the gun) for the accuracy for some time to come... :)

Thanks for your reply!

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

I've got a gun shop catalogue from 1977 and yours looks like a 700 game.

My father's Miroku is almost identical to yours with the same black surface finish and engraving pattern with a 7.5mm 'game' rib and rounded fore end. The only feature that's different is the stock which has a rounded Prince of Wales pistol grip.

It's older as there is no letter on the Serial number and the Birmingham proof marks date it at 1969.

• 11 months later...