Inset stoves.

manthing

Been given conflicting advice from a shop regarding the fitting of an inset stove.

At the moment we have an open fire and as we all know a large lump of the heat goes straight up the chimney. We were looking this weekend and the chap said if they fit a stove thay would fit a flue liner as a matter of course but if I did it it's up to me if I fit one or not.

As chance would have it I won a Esse 350 multi fuel on the bay Sunday night and in the destructions it can be used with a liner or straight into a masonry chimney.

Just want to know if there are any HETAS fitters out their that could clarify the current legal situation, ie does the installation have to be signed of by HETAS and any other relevant information.

TIA.

Mark.

Edited by manthing

it should be registered with building control or it may invalidate your home insurance also you need to check if you are in a smoke controlled are as not all are suitable .If its over 5kw it will require a air vent .The inset stoves are not that good free standing is a better option.

Your current chimney width, if between 5inches and 8 inches or so would be fine, where a liner is really needed is a large traditional chimney as the large air space often does not draw as well.

You will need a register plate with a good seal as the inset works by drawing air around the stove into the void and back into the room.

there was an inset stove in a house i rented, (actually more like an enclosed open fire), it warped with the heat and the more it warped the hotter it got, better by far is a free standing stove, the main thing with flues is to avoid at all cost a ledge that soot can rest on. and eventually catch fire