Sloppy seconds - not very good.

JDog

A field of beans just outside the village received attention from pigeons for a month or so when the beans were standing. The beans were cut on Wednesday 20th September. There were none on the field the following day and hardly any on during the morning of the Friday. On Saturday afternoon I went to have a look with no intention of shooting and there was someone set up to shoot the field. This was irritating to say the least. Not because I don't like sharing shooting but because the pigeons had not yet returned to the field in sufficient numbers to make a decent bag.

The man didn't have many shots in the time that I watched him and when I returned later that afternoon he was set up in a different place with similar results. I feel that he spoiled the field not only for other shooters but for himself. C'est la vie.

This morning I had a call from the farm manager advising that the field would be cultivated tomorrow and that if I wanted to shoot the stubble it would have to be today. The afternoon was bright with a decent breeze and I watched for an hour before setting up under the only line in I could fathom. There is no doubt that the birds were decoy shy and although quite good numbers returned to the field not many attempted to land and feed and even less decoyed to my pattern.

The afternoon was enjoyable though frustrating. I shot for two hours and picked fifteen pigeons.

Thats a shame.....................shooters....or some of the are their own worst enermy......................i have given my number to the two other infrequent shooters in my area so we can sort things out and push them around.............

.................do they phone when they are going .......DO THEY HELL............

At least you fired a few shots and got some fresh meat for a meal. Beats having your head stuck inside an Aga all day!

Frustrating these 'butterfly' shooters but there are more than ever nowadays it seems. I wonder if we will see them on the cold wet mornings on winter rape. Doubt it!

Trouble is Mr JDog , if the other shooters are working all the week then Saturday might be the only day they can go weather the field will produce a big bag or only having the odd shot , if the field is only going to be lightly cultivated instead of ploughing then you might get a decent go in a few days time.

When I shared one or two farms I found the fields that were hard to get to were the ones to keep an eye on , and if they wernt shot on a Saturday then there was a good chance they wernt going to be shot at all and even more unlikely doing the working week.

The shooter in question is a retired man who shoots 4/5 days per week. He is well known for diving in and shooting a field before it is ready. He has a great deal of land to shoot in North Lincolnshire so it is not as if he is short of somewhere to go.

the man is a rear end........................simple as that..

the man is a rear end........................simple as that..

Perhaps a bit harsh, we don't know what circumstances made the shooter decide to shoot the field when he did.

Most of us that share shooting have the same experience regularly.

Apart from striking up a relationship with all the other shooters and discussing the who,when and where of the shooting, its just a case of grin and bare it, first come first served.

If I know a field has been shot recently (either well or badly), I tend to go elsewhere.

Perhaps a bit harsh, we don't know what circumstances made the shooter decide to shoot the field when he did.

Most of us that share shooting have the same experience regularly.

Apart from striking up a relationship with all the other shooters and discussing the who,when and where of the shooting, its just a case of grin and bare it, first come first served.

If I know a field has been shot recently (either well or badly), I tend to go elsewhere.

I agree , we all have a different opinion about when is the best time to shoot a field and about letting them build up .

On growing crops you know within a little the field can be shot on the day you go , the only problem you might get is if the sprayer come on while you are there .

On stubble it is different , unless you have first hand knowledge when the field is going to be worked on then you take a chance it is still there when you decide to go , so although it would be nice to leave it till you feel you would get the maximum bag of it , in the real world this is not always possible , so if it is shared shooting you are back to , first come first served again.

As for letting a field build up , who honestly know when is the maximum amount of pigeons on there , I don't know and I don't think anyone else do , if I feel there is enough in numbers and movement for me to cart my gear from one side of the field to the other then its game on , if not I will look elsewhere and come back to the same field a few days later to see if there is any improvement in numbers.

i feel quite strongly about this..........................

i recently had ...(for here) a very good day....i posted it up....i watched the field in question and watched the numbers build up over 6 days i watched where they flew from...wind direction and choice of feeding areas........then i gave my mate one days notice..............all during the "build up period" my constant worry was some other rear end coming in cause he aint gtot nothin better else to do and ruin it all ....that was foremost in my mind....

as it was that didnt happen.....and i had a smashing day............

if it had happened i would have driven out to the shooter and given him some very serious verbal...............

i feel quite strongly about this..........................

i recently had ...(for here) a very good day....i posted it up....i watched the field in question and watched the numbers build up over 6 days i watched where they flew from...wind direction and choice of feeding areas........then i gave my mate one days notice..............all during the "build up period" my constant worry was some other rear end coming in cause he aint gtot nothin better else to do and ruin it all ....that was foremost in my mind....

as it was that didnt happen.....and i had a smashing day............

if it had happened i would have driven out to the shooter and given him some very serious verbal...............

Watching a field for six days is fine if you are liaising with the farmer about how long the stubble is likely to be there, and you are the only person with permission , if your land is shared with another shooter then how do you know if he have been watching it as well for five or six days , and then he decide to shoot it a little earlier than you on the same day as you picked , frustrating yes , but do it warrant you giving him , some very serious verbal.

Watching a field for six days is fine if you are liaising with the farmer about how long the stubble is likely to be there, and you are the only person with permission , if your land is shared with another shooter then how do you know if he have been watching it as well for five or six days , and then he decide to shoot it a little earlier than you on the same day as you picked , frustrating yes , but do it warrant you giving him , some very serious verbal.

no it isn't its the quickest way to make enemies and if the farmer gets wind of it you could both or just you end up being kicked off, I got permission on a farm 10 years ago and a few others shoot it one is an old guy who knows the farmer personally and likes to potter around with his air rifle and a single barrel 410 and shot the land for donkeys no way was I going to upset the apple cart, in fact after me and the old fella had just finished a days shooting and laid the bag out for a pic he drove up the stubble and seen the bag and said excellent well done so we chatted to him for a while, he was actually going to spend a few hours on the field we had just shot so told him theres still a few and it was only a few flighting to the corner of the wood position yourself there and you will get some shots we were just trying to be amicable

yea i can understand that....the 2 other shooters never bother to call the farmer...sometimes they dont turn up for 6 mths or so...i always drop a mail to my farmer..telling him where im going ...also where he might need a gas gun ...where the deer are grazing...we have among others a regular herd of big bloody reds here......

it just gets my goat they turn up unanounced and screw everything up.............this is a difficult bit of land to shoot and i dont have anywhere else...we have several woods and spinneys ...which works very well when there are 2 of you shooting as we can push them about....both these guys....one and old codger ..retired...who has my number but has never called me or the farmer...and the other an oil rig worker...........

i just think people should be a bit more thoughtful...i have given them both the oportunity to be so....but they think otherwise

it just annoys me thats all..................

there seems to be a lot of sour grapes about,around here,does everyone need to shoot 100,s to be happy,,,,i dont just being out is good for me.

think you are being a bit unfair...........as you say just being out is good. :good: ...a good session for me is 5-15 birds....what im saying is...i have given the 2 other shooters ample oportunity for us to work together so we can have a better day................for all of us............

fair enough they dont want to know......im not going to fall out of my pram...its just enoying ..thats all... :/

yea i can understand that....the 2 other shooters never bother to call the farmer...sometimes they dont turn up for 6 mths or so...i always drop a mail to my farmer..telling him where im going ...also where he might need a gas gun ...where the deer are grazing...we have among others a regular herd of big bloody reds here......

it just gets my goat they turn up unanounced and screw everything up.............this is a difficult bit of land to shoot and i dont have anywhere else...we have several woods and spinneys ...which works very well when there are 2 of you shooting as we can push them about....both these guys....one and old codger ..retired...who has my number but has never called me or the farmer...and the other an oil rig worker...........

i just think people should be a bit more thoughtful...i have given them both the oportunity to be so....but they think otherwise

it just annoys me thats all..................

They might see it as :-

Your there every week killing all the birds and getting all the sport .

And when they have a go ,there are no birds left and then you moan at them for shooting twice a year .

Just seeing from there side .

But I have it the same as you I shoot for the farmer all year in snow and frost .but really look forward to the barley stubbles. Just to find a bloke set up in the best corner when I arrive .it's frustrating but it is how it is