Pool Shoot Research

webber

A few members at Rixton & Astley Shooting Club have asked me to consider putting on a Pool Shoot.

As we have recently acquired some more traps and are in the process of creating some more stand spaces; now is probably the time to sort it out.

Since taking on the ground my own shooting time has suffered, I can't remember when I last visited another shooting ground.

I wondered if PW members could post the details of Pool Shoots at their local grounds; number of clays shot; price per round; % payout etc.

webber

www.astleygunclub.co.uk

We have done a few things to try and keep a pool shoot fresh, but typically 8 targets would be £2.50 - £3 with £1 of every entry going in to the pot. Will normally use 3 or 4 traps.

To get numbers through we have put on two stands about 8 ft apart and have two people shooting against each other, typically over 12 targets, so 6 in each cage with the cost £3 to £4 and again £1 of every entry going into the pot.

Other grounds have done things like setting up a really big teal type target and having people go further and further backwards, or a few different colour clays and play a variant on snooker.

Depending on the number of entries we decide how many places to pay down to. Last one i ran had about £240 in the prize pot so paid 3 places, £100, £80 and £60. The shoot off to determine prizes was really good.

Hi Webber

We have run a pool for some time now. We use three traps either standards or midi and shooters have 6 pairs of clays to shoot in the following configuration (See Attached PDF)

The only problem we have running a pool shoot is that its always the same AA shooters winning the pot, which some shooters find unfair and oftern dont want to take part .

We are currently looking at other way to make it fair for all classes. Lately we are only getting about 14 shooters having a go which isnt ideal.

Kevin Davison

Darley Dale Clay Pigeon Shooting Club

www.ddcpsc.org.uk

POOL SHOOT POSTER.pdf

Our pool shoot is shot on the Sportrap stands i.e 5 bays and we shoot the same 2 targets from the 5 bays to give 10 targets. Its £3 per go with unlimited entries and 1/3 of the pot as the prize.

I thought it would be a bit easy as were shooting the same targets from stands about 10' apart, but its surprising how easy it is to miss a few with the different angles created by moving along the bays.

Im not worried about the same people winning the cash because I and many others I know use it more as a warm up/giggle before and after our rounds, than anything serious.

To keep it a bit interesting there are flash clays hidden in amongst the targets and if you hit these you get small gifts like pin badges, pens etc with the shoot moniker on them.

I enjoy shooting the pool shoot as we have a giggle :good:

A few members at Rixton & Astley Shooting Club have asked me to consider putting on a Pool Shoot.

As we have recently acquired some more traps and are in the process of creating some more stand spaces; now is probably the time to sort it out.

Since taking on the ground my own shooting time has suffered, I can't remember when I last visited another shooting ground.

I wondered if PW members could post the details of Pool Shoots at their local grounds; number of clays shot; price per round; % payout etc.

webber

www.astleygunclub.co.uk

Welcome to the world of the shooting ground owner ! I had enough after 17 years, I now enjoy my shooting again and was able to pay you a visit on your last shoot. Very enjoyable it was too.

Edited by Westley

As for the same people winning the pool shoot it can be a problem, it wasn't unknown for groups of AA shooters to group together and effectively buy the pool shoot and share the winnings.

This weekend we are going to run two pool shoots of differing levels of stiffness and split them in to AA/A & B/C classifications. Only those with a B/C classification can win prize money on the B/C layout. Of course anybody is free to shoot either set of targets and the B/C shooters can win on the stiffer layout.

It would be no problem to have 2 prize funds on the same layout of course and have two winners split between classes as described.

I saw one at Mid Wales a few months back, it was impressive setup, with the right colours too! (red going away, and various colours all around in grade of difficulty). Didn't have the opportunity to shoot it tho as I was shooting the Perazzi Grand Prix at the time (in the rain) but I LOVED the idea!

Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

I'm not going to do anything too elaborate to start with, just two traps.

3 pairs on report; 3 pairs simo.

We, have a couple of wireless remotes that don't require a dongle, so these will be OK for the trapper / referee to operate the traps. We shall dig them out tomorrow and make them compatible with our traps, and look to put a pool shoot stand on at our next shoot on 15th. October.

£5 per entry.

Minimum entries 20 before payout.

Payout £25 or 5 boxes of 12 gauge Fiocchi cartridges.

Winner takes all, no places.

Previous winner barred from taking prize for 2 pools.

Shoot off on different stand if required.

Pool will roll over to next shoot day if insufficient entries are made to complete the pool.

Referees and R&ASC management decisions will be final.

webber

Welcome to the world of the shooting ground owner ! I had enough after 17 years, I now enjoy my shooting again and was able to pay you a visit on your last shoot. Very enjoyable it was too.

Glad that you enjoyed it and sorry to have missed you, but as you probably saw I'm usually busy.

Please do pay us another visit and make your presence known.

webber

Shooters attending this Sundays shoot should be advised that the entrance directly off the A580 for the quarry is blocked due to civil engineering works.

Access to the shoot can be gained by turning at Astley traffic lights taking the sign for Higher Green. Drive through Astley Green; over the canal bridge and turn RIGHT at the roundabout.

Ignore the road closed and diversion signs. If the barriers are closed open them, and beware of possible barriers t the other end of the road just before the Left turn for the clay shoot.

You will drive through the farm. Please drive dead slow.