Guided fishing trip - any advice/recommendations?

DanBettin

I know nothing about fishing - literally nothing. Sounds silly - but it's always been a dream of mine to get out on a boat and catch, prepare and eat whatever fish I manage to get on the day. Given the fact I know diddly squat about fishing, so would have no luck at all on my own - does anybody know of any companies that will organise this and take people out for this kind of trip for the day?

I'm based in the North West, so anything local (including the Lakes, North Wales etc.) would be ideal.

Thanks in advance ;)

I know nothing about fishing - literally nothing. Sounds silly - but it's always been a dream of mine to get out on a boat and catch, prepare and eat whatever fish I manage to get on the day. Given the fact I know diddly squat about fishing, so would have no luck at all on my own - does anybody know of any companies that will organise this and take people out for this kind of trip for the day?

I'm based in the North West, so anything local (including the Lakes, North Wales etc.) would be ideal.

Thanks in advance ;)

Coniston Hall Hotel, on A65 near Skipton. They have a shooting ground, trout lake etc. and they can arrange a qualified Instructor to teach you how to catch a fish on the fly, either from a boat or from the bank !

To eat what you catch its got to be sea, or game (trout/salmon).

If you are near the coast, the best contact is local fishing tackle/bait shops (for the local boats).

I would recommend sea fishing if you want to maximise your chance of catching a reasonable number of edible fish against your days expenditure.

Trout fisheries invariably have a catch limit, you need full details before you evaluate.

Thanks in advance ;)

Love posts like this. so much scope and such raw honesty!

It also depends on what skill level you want! It's a heck of a lot easier to pay a boat captain some cash. he takes you to a mark, you drop a line over and reel in some fish. High on ease, but a bit low in joy!

As Westley and Simonm suggest, a more interesting way would be to have a trout fishing tutorial and catch something you can take home that way. It's harder work, but much more of an achievement than almost all the work being done by first the boat captain and then your hook! You really earn your catch with a day's tutorial and trout fishing. It can get a bit expensive though, although you ight be able to find a friend who could help you with the techniques and then you can just fish a trout lake.

or buy a kayak, a shed load of extra fishing/paddling kit, a method of strapping it to the car and then I'll see you in North Wales for some kayak fishing!

• 4 weeks later...

How ignorant of me! Apologies lads, totally forgot I'd made this thread.

Some excellent replies, every one of them useful and stuff I'll be chasing up.

Can I ask another really rookie question - how does weather affect fishing? I know there are seasons in terms of what you can catch when, but my understanding is that that's in the interest of conservation - can you fish all year round anyway though?

Thanks again.