222 or 223 ?

Gerry78

Used to fox many years back been thinking of buying a rifle again for the ODD FOX wanted to ask what anyone would advise me to buy Talking to firearms dealers i know 223 very popular rifles/bullets etc He said 222 has lost its following over here in N Ireland he said you could pick up good second hand 222 As i said it would be for the odd fox outing now and again id rather spend money on good scope any info from foxing guys would be helpful

Plenty of 222's about for handy money, I got a good second rifle and mod on Guntrader for £300 earlier this year. I reload for it and it shoots 1/2" @ 100 yards. Using 40gr Blitzkings, it's just under 1" high @ 100 yards and 1" low @ 200. So on most of my ground ,it's pretty much point and shoot. Does everything I need. The last factory ammo I bought was £1 a shot.

IMG_20170906_195336.jpg

I got this tikka T3x about six weeks ago in .222 and love it.

I read loads of posts about how much better people said the 223 is with regards variety of ammunition etc and that the triple is a dying calibre but just feel that the triple ticked all the boxes for me personally.

no regrets whatsoever on my choice.

I bought a 222 as I believe it's a superior round to the 223. Watch the YouTube video from Gunblue 490 explaining about the round, very interesting.

Iv never really understood this struggling to get ammunition either, there will be a gun shop within 45 mins who sells the stuff so just go and stock up!! It's not like you'll be using the thing like a machine gun, i bet most shooters don't put more than 50 rounds a year through their 222 or 223

Cheers forum Im gona have a shop about it would only be for the odd fox 222 or 223 Old boy i fowl with thinks 222 more accurate but thats just him think a lot of firearm dealers over here dont have much 222 ammo

There your answer mate. Every shop will probably hold a decent selection of 223.

Had a t3 in 223 years ago cracking rifle

Are 223's legal in NI? I though that u weren't allowed military calibres in NI, but I may be wrong or it may have changed. But can remember a keeper having to change his rifles to work over there

Really there is not a lot of difference between the 2, althou they do seem to vary from region to region wot is the most popular and so which will be the cheapest/most available and ammo availability

Scotslad i can apply for any foxing calibre i want 204/222/223/22250 perfectly legal mate the same if did DSC1 i could go for 243 right up to 308 couple diff laws we cant shoot deer with say 223 like scotland you can take ROE With foxing round Plus handguns you have to be in target club Just with the history off n ireland the police give you good check over i shoot 22lr for bunnies plus shotguns for duck and pigeons when can find them lol

Yes mate i can apply for centerfire no probs i had 223 years back moved house funds were low so hada sell it Bigeest mistake i made Reason i posted message to forum is about the 222 to see what people think as i know what 223 like shooting just a old boy i knew loved the 222 I wouldnt be putting out as much money i did on 223 It was a SAKO i had brilliant rifle with S@Bender scope on it :no: So gona but a cheaper rifle save my money for nice piece of Glass

Cheers Gerry.

Have they changed it in last 10 years?

I could be wrong but thought u weren't allowed in NI similar to france where ur 223 and 308 weren't allowed due to the potential amount of military ammo that could be found.

I think this was lifted last year.

Yes bornfree il not be shooting long range especially at night most foxers i know use 223 ive shot a 22/250 at targets think be too much gunpowder for what i need lol :)

222 or 223, just get the one you fancy in either of those calibres - makes little or no difference.

If you can define the range as above for this occasional fox and it turns out to be sub 200 yards and you're not reloading, then don't overlook the 22 Hornet. Might not suit but worth considering.