Israel - Eilat

TaxiDriver

Has anyone been ?

I'm curious as I'm looking to go as its on the Red Sea and Sharm El Shiek is not currently on the safe list.

I have been to Eilat and to Taba.

I would seriously suggest you don't go. You can cut the tension in the air with a knife.

Last time I went (October 2004) they blew up the hotel next door (Taba Hilton) and bombed a night club further down the coast. Three bombs in total and the walking wounded came to our hotel whilst (allegedly) the local police stripped their rooms of all valuables.

The road from Taba airport through the gorge I could block top and bottom with two burning cars and nobody could get in (or out) for hours. A tourist bus will get turned over in there.

The only good point of the whole trip was that the pilot was Bruce Dickinson.

You could not pay me to set foot in that area and I don't scare easily.

Horrible place.

Edited by Eyefor

I know the area fairly well and have lived in Sharm. Sharm itself, i would say, is as safe as London.(been many more recent attacks in UK than Egypt) (Home office just opened up most of Egypt for UK tour/flight operators, so they must think it is ok now?) Taba/Eilat etc are all smaller/not as good versions of Sharm with less facilities (and poorer diving). They are also less safe than Sharm, as they do not have a guarded/patrolled area like Sharm. I would not bother with Eilat/Taba even if there was no safety issue. Sharm is better and cheaper in every way!

(check Sharm, safe list etc, i believe they changed the status yesterday/day before??)

edit; spelling

Edited by silver pigeon69

Has anyone been ?

I'm curious as I'm looking to go as its on the Red Sea and Sharm El Shiek is not currently on the safe list.

Hurghada is a very safe place to visit. I've been there twice this year. The security at the airport is very tight, and you have to pass through 3 metal detectors, and your luggage through 2. Also frisked down twice, and my camera bag/equipment checked and swabbed, including my hands for traces of explosives. I've no problem with any of this.

Hurghada is a very safe place to visit. I've been there twice this year. The security at the airport is very tight, and you have to pass through 3 metal detectors, and your luggage through 2. Also frisked down twice, and my camera bag/equipment checked and swabbed, including my hands for traces of explosives. I've no problem with any of this.

So they check tourists coming in, it's the people already there they need to watch out for.

Tel Aviv is a great place to visit, Jerusalem is cool for the historical elements but as a place to stay, its not a patch on TA.

I didn't go down as far as Eilat, but was in and out of many 'off the map' regions (poorer areas and Arab areas) and never had a problem.

Edited by iano

I really recommend El Gouna - Egypt. http://www.elgouna.com/

It is unique in as much it is a custom built gated town about 30mins north of Hurgahda so really safe. If you are into Kitesurfing , Diving , Wakeboarding or just chilling out its an awesome place.

Cheap as chips at the moment as well :)

TD Kitesurfing, l would pay good money to see that. .

Thanks Folks,

Think I'll give it a pass :)

Whilst in Egypt staying at Nabq we went on a trip to Sharm to go on a boat trip, Whilst on the trip we stopped in a lovely bay adjacent to a hotel on the beach where you could snorkel inside the reef, When we got back to England it took weeks to track down the name of the hotel and find an operator who offered it.

We went once, thoroughly enjoyed being able to swim out to the reef and snorkel, The next year we came to go Sharm had suffered a flight bombing or something and Sharm was off the approved list :(

I wouldn't go on principle.

When I was a kid and collected stamps there was a land called Palestine. Now there isn't, only The West Bank and Gaza Strip.

I remember when that land was called Judea.

We didn't collect stamps then... just tablets.