New coat recommendations

Tim Kelly

I need a new coat. A standard barbour type green shooting coat. It doesn't need to be super insulated as it will mainly be used when it's raining, rather than for warmth. My last one was a Le Chameau which the zip broke on very quickly and it started leaking soon afterwards. I don't want to spend £500 on a coat, but don't mind spending £250 if it's actually better than a £150 coat. What do you suggest?

Pretty much anything from the Deerhunter range that takes your fancy.

Excellent quality at significantly less than similar offerings from Barbour or Musto with no lessening of "waterproofness" or longevity.

My longest serving Deerhunter jacket is now 10 years old and is still perfectly waterproof, if looking a bit worn around the edges.

Enjoy which ever brand you elect to go for.

Edited by mudpatten

Thanks. I've had a couple of Deerhunter coats in the past and been underwhelmed by them. I expect I'll give the Musto a go. I'm not convinced that any of the breathable coats stay waterproof for long, everyone was soaked to the skin one day last season, and that was all brands from Schoffel to jack pike, but having decent quality zips and material that doesn't tear as well as a useful, but not gratuitous, number of pockets is the aim. I don't think it should be difficult to find something suitable, but once you start looking round there's plenty that seem to not hit the mark.

I've had two Musto, the first of which I have only just replaced after 5 years because I'm bored of it, it is perfect. I would second the suggestion of the Fenland, mine has never let me down I some of the crappiest weather and being light and packable makes it useful all year round. It's easy to add layers but sometimes inappropriate to remove them.

Can't believe Schoffel hasn't been mentioned more (something like a Ptarmigan).

Their service is excellent ....

I had a second hand one for about 6 years and after faultless service it developed a leak.

They replaced it with a new one without question.

In terms of total cost of ownership .... the cheapest coat you'll ever buy, and nothing looks as good in the field.

Can't believe Schoffel hasn't been mentioned more (something like a Ptarmigan).

Their service is excellent ....

I had a second hand one for about 6 years and after faultless service it developed a leak.

They replaced it with a new one without question.

In terms of total cost of ownership .... the cheapest coat you'll ever buy, and nothing looks as good in the field.

I too really rate their stuff. It would have to be second hand with a budget of £250 which can be a lottery. I have a Ptarmigan and a tweed and love them both, the tweed is my favourite and worn on many days in the winter not just shooting.

Thanks. I've had a couple of Deerhunter coats in the past and been underwhelmed by them. I expect I'll give the Musto a go. I'm not convinced that any of the breathable coats stay waterproof for long, everyone was soaked to the skin one day last season, and that was all brands from Schoffel to jack pike, but having decent quality zips and material that doesn't tear as well as a useful, but not gratuitous, number of pockets is the aim. I don't think it should be difficult to find something suitable, but once you start looking round there's plenty that seem to not hit the mark.

I'm another with a pro hunter and though most are out of budget I did pick mine up on eBay brand new in budget. So far it's done 3 years and that beating, shooting and daily dog walking. Breathable never got wet inside so far and the fabric is actually tough enough to beat in. Having had one if anything happened to this I would actually buy another and can see they are worth the price.

Gets put through the wash with a waterproofing agent once a year but that's it and looks pretty much good as new

I love my coats as much as my wife :lol: , my every day coat is light weight Musto and for more formal days is another Musto similar to the keeper , the light weight one is about five years old and the other one I bought out of a sale for about £100 two years ago and is as good as the day I bought it .

Strange what you say about the Le Chameu was no good , I had one for a number of years with a hood on it , when it got past it sell by date for looks I used it for wildfowling , that ole coat have been out in every weather condition known to man , and believe or not it have never let me down and I still use it now , it is warm , totally waterproof and having a hood on it is a gods end when it is blowing hard and the hail is stinging your lugs .