Best Chokes for DTL

ph5172

Guys

In your Opinion what is the best choke set to use on DTL,

I use Full and 3/4 and get an average hit rate

But my mate who uses a semi uses a skeet choke and hits about the same.

In theory you should be using a tighter choke as the target are side on, or am i mis informed and by changing to open choke i will hit more.

Opinions please.

your mate is lucky using a skeet choke on dtl if he swapped to 1/2 or 3/4 his scores will rise

using a dedicated trap gun also gives you the upward lead you require.

if you shoot a sporter. and pull the trigger while you still see the clay you will miss it (blot it out and keep the gun rising till the fog clears)

I shot a sporting layout this morning with skeet & 1/4 and felt more comfortable, achieved the exact same score as I did the last time I shot there with 1/4 & 1/2 but today was a totally different layout, shall try again next week at another regular shoot just to see what distance I can get with an extended teague skeet choke and 7.5 carts.

How true that chokes dont matter. I went up to deveridge a few weeks back just to knock off a few off the tower. I hadn't realised i still had skeet in and the only cartridges i had were 9's. I hit 40/50, more than usually lol, just goes to show....

not just correct advice i'm afraid.

high tower birds show belly also a clay from a 120 ft tower will have dropped by the time you shoot it.

120 ft is only 40 yards

dtl birds are edge on travelling very fast up to 55/60 yards.

using a 9 and skeet choke you would have to be on em very quick

no 9s loose velocity very quickly

i knew there was a reason my last 2 gun were fixed chokes :lol: saves pratting about with them ......... chokes may make a differance but very marginal ......... your either on the target or not .......... and the other old chestnut .......... those shells are **** i missed one :lol:

• 3 weeks later...