Pinks Arriving

moongeese

Thanks Tony, Hope you are fit enough to get a shot yourself, and you are getting afloat now and then.

Regards. Bill

Bill i'm not to bad in health but re getting afloat after my knee replacment the only boating i'll be doing in the future will be in a row boat ,I could have gone up to the flow country this comming friday but didn't want to burden the rest of the team ,i'll get up next year all being well!

straight powder Bill and all the best Tony

Ye, went down early in the season and sat at the back in jeans and watched.

One guy with a camera at the front taking pictures no one else to be seen. Once geese took off a shot went off dropping a goose.

Camera man then used his camera to spot the wildfowler and very slowly, step by step worked is way between the geese and the wildfowler.

The usual,

Geese

Cowboys

Antis

And a few wildfowlers

What no Indians.? Just come back from up there again Did only one flight in there others elsewhere, 4 for 2days me and my son Had a much better time further NW plenty of geese not just as careful we could have shot more i suppose but were happy enough and we were on our own .

There’s one on Forres High Street, prefer the Chinese myself!

Thanks for spending time and your money in the area and investing in the local economy, much appreciated.

Just wish our limp wristed, local council would help out.

But up here if you are local, wildfowler or not, you are basically a second class citizen with the local council pandering to all the loud mouthed, transient white settlers in the area.

Anything to look PC and not loose votes.

• 5 weeks later...

well its been a few weeks since our trip to Montrose. It was my first trip, morning decoying pinks, all I can say is what an amazing experience. we gathered at 05:45 at our accommodation and set out to meet our guide had our hide built and pattern set out before first light. We didn't have to wait long before we could hear the sound of the first skeins floating in although at first the geese didn't seem to notice our decoys at first, it wasn't long before we attracted some. then began one of the greatest sights I have ever seen  hundreds of geese pouring in, I admit my nerves got the better of me as when we got the go ahead to shoot, I missed completely!! By 9:30ish, and several skeins later  we had all settled down and had a few birds on the ground which were quickly picked up buy our guides, Labradors. We had all agreed that if each of us had got three birds we would be happy and most of us having reached that by 10:00  some of us that got our number were just happy to lay in the hide and watch this spectacle of nature unfold above us, by 11 we decided to pack up as we still had 2 more days shooting. The next 2 days did not disappoint with as many, if not more geese presenting themselves. This was an experience I will never forget and hope to be fortunate to do again next year, great company great sport, and I am sure that a lot of this was not just down to luck but the hard work Ian Gill and Fraser our guides who put the time in finding where the geese were feeding and really making the effort to put out a good pattern with a large amount of decoys. The feeling we all took away from our trip was that these guides really wanted us to see the birds and have the sport we came for, not just sit us in a ditch and blame the wildlife for a bad day.

Many thanks to Ian Gill and Fraser (Montrose shooting Breaks)  

31 minutes ago, Mr gen said:

well its been a few weeks since our trip to Montrose. It was my first trip, morning decoying pinks, all I can say is what an amazing experience. we gathered at 05:45 at our accommodation and set out to meet our guide had our hide built and pattern set out before first light. We didn't have to wait long before we could hear the sound of the first skeins floating in although at first the geese didn't seem to notice our decoys at first, it wasn't long before we attracted some. then began one of the greatest sights I have ever seen  hundreds of geese pouring in, I admit my nerves got the better of me as when we got the go ahead to shoot, I missed completely!! By 9:30ish, and several skeins later  we had all settled down and had a few birds on the ground which were quickly picked up buy our guides, Labradors. We had all agreed that if each of us had got three birds we would be happy and most of us having reached that by 10:00  some of us that got our number were just happy to lay in the hide and watch this spectacle of nature unfold above us, by 11 we decided to pack up as we still had 2 more days shooting. The next 2 days did not disappoint with as many, if not more geese presenting themselves. This was an experience I will never forget and hope to be fortunate to do again next year, great company great sport, and I am sure that a lot of this was not just down to luck but the hard work Ian Gill and Fraser our guides who put the time in finding where the geese were feeding and really making the effort to put out a good pattern with a large amount of decoys. The feeling we all took away from our trip was that these guides really wanted us to see the birds and have the sport we came for, not just sit us in a ditch and blame the wildlife for a bad day.

Good write up, glad you had a great goose trip to Scotland.

Bill

On 21/11/2017 at 10:48, Mr gen said:

Me and three friends have just come back from three days shooting with Ian and Fraser , two mornings drew a blank but the on the third we had nine pinks .

These guys work very hard to find where the geese are but sometimes it does not work , at the end of the day these are WILD birds !!!

Edited by mffw

Glad to hear you didn't have a complete blank were the quiet days due to there being no geese about or that they didn't decoy? Their numbers due fluctuate quite dramatically I don't where my mate was getting these figures from but he reckoned the week we went 24/10/17 there were around 80,000   roosting in the Montrose bowl a week later numbers had dropped to 15,000.

8 hours ago, Mr gen said:

Glad to hear you didn't have a complete blank were the quiet days due to there being no geese about or that they didn't decoy? Their numbers due fluctuate quite dramatically I don't where my mate was getting these figures from but he reckoned the week we went 24/10/17 there were around 80,000   roosting in the Montrose bowl a week later numbers had dropped to 15,000.

We shot the same week the year before with more luck, this year the birds did not seem to be around.