Advice on trapping please

tikkamark

Cab any give me any tips or advice on how to go about traping mink and stoats i have bought a couple of them traps that fold flat and the two jaws snap upwards and there is a flat plate that trips the trap i dont know what the name of them is :thumbs: Can anyone give me some tips on what bait to use and where to set them.Any advice would be welcome :good:

If you use the search engune and type in mink you will come up with 6 pages of info including trapping.

Fenn Traps is another good search.

Here are a couple:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...079&hl=mink

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...753&hl=mink

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...191&hl=mink

When using cubbies the bait is placed behind the trap, when using runway sets there is no bait.

NTTF

They sound like fenns to me mate. For mink, i would use mk6 the larger, stronger version whereas the mk4 is perfect for stoats. At this time of year i wouldn't bait for stoats. Place the traps in tunnels near gateways, the end of a fence line, or in any stone piles

tunnel2.jpg

tunnel.jpg

I prefer using wooden boxes and the covering them with stones etc to make them blend in. Over time they will naturally blend in.

Stoat2.jpg

WWWeasel.jpg

Ye might get a Weasel or 2 aswell

And maybe even a White Stoat(not until winter though)

airtrifle.jpg

Ive not done much Mink trapping but from what i have done, set the traps under bridges or in the pipes where feild drains come in to the river/beck. Covering the plate with fish oil will be enough to attract there attention. Im sure someone else will be able to explain better.

Hope this helps

Smudge

Thanks for all that info :lol: its the mark 4 fenn traps that i have.Are they any good for rats them fenn traps?I made a wooden box to put over the trap with a hole on each side and put some sardines on the plate and placed it in a ditch that is full of stoats so hopefully i might get something.Is the mark 4 fenn trap to small for mink then?

The mk4 is spot on for rats also mate :lol: For Mink it is a bit small, and using one for a Mink is taking the risk of leaving it injured or losing yer traps. Set it right though (really fine trigger) and it would kill it more than likely. Mink are alot stronger than you would think and can bend and escape for traps that are weak and small. :lol:

Smudge

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all that info :P its the mark 4 fenn traps that i have.Are they any good for rats them fenn traps?I made a wooden box to put over the trap with a hole on each side and put some sardines on the plate and placed it in a ditch that is full of stoats so hopefully i might get something.Is the mark 4 fenn trap to small for mink then?

Mark, Are you sure that stoats are class as vermin over here?

I have never seen them on any list of quarry or vermin??

Thanks for all that info :lol: its the mark 4 fenn traps that i have.Are they any good for rats them fenn traps?I made a wooden box to put over the trap with a hole on each side and put some sardines on the plate and placed it in a ditch that is full of stoats so hopefully i might get something.Is the mark 4 fenn trap to small for mink then?

Mark, Are you sure that stoats are class as vermin over here?

I have never seen them on any list of quarry or vermin??

There on my quarry list big time they are nasty little b******* they killed 12 hens on my fathers farm in one night and cause serious damage to wild nesting hen pheasants :lol: You would find out what distruction they are capable of if one or 2 got a go at your poults they kill for the sake of killing.They surely are classed as vermin here i cant see any positives of protecting them?

Just a quick point, With the wooden tunnel you have made make sure there is plenty of space for the trap to go off. If there isn't the chances are the it will be set off but never catch anything.

Just remeber that they need to be checked at least once every 24hrs twice if you can. When you check the traps just have a look through the tunnel you have made and if alls fine leave it alone. you probably find that if you have a few traps down 1 or 2 will out perform the rest. you'll also find that you can catch all sorts in them. You should also put a couple of pegs in front of the tunnel to stop Hedgehogs entering them as leagally you can't trap these.

Cheers Jon

Just a quick point, With the wooden tunnel you have made make sure there is plenty of space for the trap to go off. If there isn't the chances are the it will be set off but never catch anything.

Just remeber that they need to be checked at least once every 24hrs twice if you can. When you check the traps just have a look through the tunnel you have made and if alls fine leave it alone. you probably find that if you have a few traps down 1 or 2 will out perform the rest. you'll also find that you can catch all sorts in them. You should also put a couple of pegs in front of the tunnel to stop Hedgehogs entering them as leagally you can't trap these.

Cheers Jon

Thanks for that jon i was wondering what the idea was behind the pegs alright :lol: With a tunnel trap do you put any bait in it or do you just rely on the quarry using the tunnel as a pass and steping on the plate?

Thanks for that jon i was wondering what the idea was behind the pegs alright :good: With a tunnel trap do you put any bait in it or do you just rely on the quarry using the tunnel as a pass and steping on the plate?

On the whole you tend to set them up without bait. Try not to handle the traps to much without something to cover your hands as the smell will put things offf going into the tunnel. Also if you leave the traps outside for a bit it will tend to take the shine that they have when new. To cover this a bit more once in the tunnels you can spinkle a small amount of loose soil or leaves over it to hide it form veiw.Obviously don't put too much on or it may affect the way the trap works.

Cheesr Jon