Too many misses

getthegat

So I've got into a spate of missing a lot of shots and don't know what my problem is. I've fairly recently got a moderated 20 gauge over under, but figured that by now I should have the feel of it. I've had some excellent hits at good ranges, but seem to be very inconsistent. I shoot alone so don't have anyone to tell me what my problems are. Am I stopping before firing?not giving enough lead?I just don't know. I think the gun fit is ok, though obviously these drainpipes do take some getting use to. Any tips guys would be great.

Moderators on gun tend to make the gun shoot low .

Or more to the point you line up your shot with the top of the mod but because it's not tapered ie .its a even cylinder your not creating any elevation to the shot so effectivley you shot goes low .

Either raise the comb of the stock or fit a red dot sight .

The above is a guide and not a rule .

If that doesn't work ?

well ..in his post he says he thinks the gun fit is ok..........and if you are not used to all that extra stuff on the barrells...then it will make you adjust your style....so i guess it is just practice...

mind you proberly the best thing ...would be 2 boxes on the skeet range with a mate behind you watching...........

You will get loads of different advice on what to do and what not to do , but to be honest unless there is somebody who know what there doing are sitting beside , or more better behind you , it can only be surmised what you are doing wrong .

If I was you , I would only concentrate on the ones you are happy with and as your confidence build up then take some of the harder ones on . it might be your new gun is taking longer to get used to than you imagined and you are losing a bit of confidence in it , persevere and I am sure things will improve.

First of all, find out where the gun is shooting! Fire at some paper. Is the shot going where you are looking?

Could be a number of things lead range shot placement but I'm with Motty on this will give you an idea of where your aim is and where the shot is going then it's all down to practice.

That's great advice and very much appreciated. I've tried shots at target paper, albeit when I first got the gun and not now, but I didn't find I was shooting low. At 30 yards the pattern was pretty central and surprised me just how tight the pattern was. At 30 yards a bird the size of a pigeon should not get through, so now I reckon I'm off target by a couple of feet! If it's any indication, I have better luck with a number 7 shot than a 5, more pellets meaning more chance of hitting perhaps? I do feel I've lost confidence and possibly have a half full attitude before even going out. Having an expert behind me does sound like good advice as well, but does clay shooting help with woodies in the field, or is it more about familiarity with the gun giving the confidence to then take on the harder targets. Admittedly the few good shots I've had have been the snapshots where I've had far less time to think. Maybe I'm just not in a good place generally right now, lots of life issues, but shooting has been part of my life since childhood and I need a stress free chilled hobby, not one that frustrates.

if its an investarm moderated, they do shoot very low I had one for a few years, but I pattern plated it before I shot at anything and at 30 yards it shot nearly 1ft low, so in the hide I had to cover the birds with the muzzle as they approached , birds dropping into decoys I shot straight at them and they folded wereas you would of had to aim just underneath with a standard gun

Good idea to have someone who knows a bit about the game to stand with you and see where you are shooting. I have just had my first two days on the partridge and on the first I was missing almost every bird on my right but killing the left handers and straight ahead. On the second day I gave it some thought and found that at passing the 77th year in September my body is not turning quite so far these days to the right and therefor making me dip my right shoulder causing a miss underneath. By moving my body to the right slightly as the bird approached gave me the bit extra room to turn and scores improved. It can be something as simple as that, but if you cannot see it yourself then get someone who knows to watch you shoot a few clays at various angles

Interesting. The gun IS an Investerarm, maybe I need to do some more target shots and I know I've been using it as though it were a non moderated and not allowing for shooting low. Also I have a bit of an issue with my right shoulder, it's not as mobile as it use to be. I think that I am aiming too much like a rifle and not looking at the bird and also taking too long rather than snap shooting. And yickdaz your info makes sense. Good to have peeps to sound off to and bounce ideas around. Many thanks again. I don't have many chances to get out and away from work, but I'll let you know how it goes from here.

Your last question could be part of the problem , lack of time , we know work have to come first and without it bills cannot be paid , stimulated shooting at clays is fine for getting used to your new gun but when it comes to pigeon shooting it is totally a different ball game .

There are loads of questions we could ask about your hide discipline and decoy set up which would enter a whole new thread, and you have already answered one of them by stating you take your eye off the bird before taking a shot.

When you go again try putting the decoys out to your advantage , if like you say you have got a doggie shoulder then put your decoys out either right or left depending on the angle that affects your shoulder the least , but instead of going through all of the questions the easiest way is seek help of someone who know a bit about the game and let him decide what your problems are , Good luck and don't get to despondent.

All good advice, we all go through difficult times but just having confidence in your own ability is a good start, I had a .410 hush I couldn't hit a barn door with it, after i fitted a fibre optic sight it improved a lot but never made me happy so I sold it, my new Beretta 391 was brill from the first shot, the fit was adjusted for me, when I bought it, since then I have had some great days but even though I am confident with my shooting and my gun I still have off days, persevere and practice, clays do help but get out there and believe in yourself, :yes::yes:

The 20ga o/u Hushpower I have is true to the point of aim (tested on a pattern plate), unlike the pump version I tried, which did fire low.

I agree that clays and an experienced shot standing behind you could help.

I would also say that I find shooting the Hushpower like a side by side, as opposed to an o/u or an auto, really helped.

That means that I don't "aim",nor am I conscious of the end of the barrel, but I just block out the bird and pull the trigger as I swing through.

I'm sorry if that is not a very clear description.

Again, all great advice and some real nice comments... touched. Can't fit any form of site to mine, no rib and I'm not convinced if it would help in the end, seems like it would be making it into a rifle. The decoy placement and shooting low seems worth a try, I know I'm better at birds crossing from the right than the left. Roll on retirement when time will be on my side. The newly sewn wheat fields around my workshop have been attracting a lot of birds today, so frustrating what with Friday being a busy day, with money to be made. May be able to find an hour or two next week if they're still around. Cheers guys.

Edited by getthegat

Again, all great advice and some real nice comments... touched. Can't fit any form of site to mine, no rib and I'm not convinced if it would help in the end, seems like it would be making it into a rifle. The decoy placement and shooting low seems worth a try, I know I'm better at birds crossing from the right than the left. Roll on retirement when time will be on my side. The newly sewn wheat fields around my workshop have been attracting a lot of birds today, so frustrating what with Friday being a busy day, with money to be made. May be able to find an hour or two next week if they're still around. Cheers guys.

Dont you run your own workshop?