selling Wildfowl

Mice!

Evening all,

Talking to a mate tonight and he's been asked to shoot some greylags, long story short he's going to turn it down as he said he would only be able to use or give away 3 or 4 at a push and you can't sell wildfowl, so doesn't want to shoot them just for the sake of it.

I thought this was odd, so can you sell wildfowl he thinks not I couldn't see why not?

Over to you guys, I said I would post the question.

Thanks Mice!

This has absolutely nothing to do with punt gunning nor with fantasies about "knocking over vast swathes of wildfowl".

The 1954 act only banned the sale of birds out of season.

In 1963 the Earl of Mansfield (who was then president of WAGBI) introduced a bill to prohibit the sale of dead wild geese at any time. It ran out of time but the prohibition was included in later government legislation including the current WCA. There was great concern among wildfowlers and others at that time about the commercial exploitation of geese in Scotland, at a time when populations were much smaller than today.

If you could, I believe that it would lead to some unsavory excessive bags of geese, which can be pretty easily done over decoys. Not be able to sell them keeps this in check for the most part.

Just seems strange that you can shoot geese but not then sell them to a game dealer, as you can with pigeon or rabbit, that's why i think the legislation is out of date, and why I asked the question.

If you could, I believe that it would lead to some unsavory excessive bags of geese, which can be pretty easily done over decoys. Not be able to sell them keeps this in check for the most part.

'For the most part'. Agreed, but in the time I have been on this forum I have seen pictures posted of large numbers of geese laid out for all to see. Admittedly they were shot inland but this does not make it any more acceptable.

Just seems strange that you can shoot geese but not then sell them to a game dealer, as you can with pigeon or rabbit, that's why i think the legislation is out of date, and why I asked the question.

Edited by JDog

I hope that I quantified that with 'for the most part'.

The Discovery loaded to the gunnels, spilling Canadas was a disconcerting sight.

'For the most part'. Agreed, but in the time I have been on this forum I have seen pictures posted of large numbers of geese laid out for all to see. Admittedly they were shot inland but this does not make it any more acceptable.

I hope that I quantified that with 'for the most part'.

The Discovery loaded to the gunnels, spilling Canadas was a disconcerting sight.[/size]

You did.

I try my best to avoid commenting on the open forum about such pictures but inside I am pretty upset. No matter what people will say there is no way that every one of a large bag of inland Canadas or Greys shot ends up being eaten.

Most clubs have a rule that states that no wildfowl shot on their grounds may be sold which is quite rite in my opinion.

In reality , very few members would be able to shoot enough duck to warrant taking them to the game dealers with the low prices being paid , but I cant see nothing wrong with selling wildfowl , I enjoy my wildfowling , always have done and why should I stop fowling just because I cant eat all I shoot ?, 99% of the ducks I shoot are on my own shoot , species are mainly Widgeon with the odd Mallard and various , surplus to requirements are put in the freezer and sold at the end of the season for hardly the price of petrol it cost for taking them , I can then sleep at night knowing they are in the food chain and somebody is going to eat one of my ducks at some time , unlike the rumours I have been hearing lately about no demand for this years game and the problems some big shoots are having in disposing the bag .

Thanks all for the comments, I would have thought there would be a bag limit set at most wildfowling clubs or is just common sense used because you obviously need to carry back what you have shot?

As for not selling geese, would a bag limit like they use in the states not be a good idea, so Joe can sell 5 or 10 geese a week, or would it simply be abused?

• 2 weeks later...

Over here in Canada, snow geese are becoming a problem in that the the numbers are such that they are damaging the environment in their breeding areas and therefore damaging populations of all wildfowl. The environmentalists have asked us the shoot them in the spring migration as well as fall to keep the numbers down, bag limits have been raised in some provinces to 20 or 50 per day, with a possession limit of 3 time that.

BUT, it is illegal to sell game in Canada and all "harvested" game must be put into the food chain. So what could you do with up to 150 snow geese? In the flyway areas, all the local have as many as they can eat, all you can do is pay $10/ bird to make sausage for the food bank.

Not thought though legislation??

Hi kitchrat , when you say its illegal to sell game in Canada does that cover everything fur feather and fish? I would have expected that say deer would be sold or traded for other items.

And let's say you shot loads of the snow geese, are you saying you have to pay yourself to have them processed into sausages?

Thanks mice!

Hi kitchrat , when you say its illegal to sell game in Canada does that cover everything fur feather and fish? I would have expected that say deer would be sold or traded for other items.

And let's say you shot loads of the snow geese, are you saying you have to pay yourself to have them processed into sausages?

Thanks mice!

Yes, you cannot sell any game, (unless you are 1st Nations, in which case you can do what the f u like). FARMED salmon, elk etc are OK but game harvested under the framework of hunting regulations cannot be sold. In fact, you cannot even pick up roadkilled game!

And Yes, if you were lucky enough to get a load of Snows (and they are not easy to decoy, some birds have made the trip 20 times and know all the tricks and a flock of 2000 sets of eyes are difficult to trick), you have to eat them, give them away or get them into the food chain somehow. The "outfitters", guides who run hunting trips on a commercial basis, with over 1000 decoys, electronic calls etc, have the facility for successful hunters to pay to make them into sausage for the food bank. It should be noted that many of the hunters are Yanks and it is difficult to take dead birds back over the border, especially by plane!