Rats in Cover Crop

I think it is now illegal, or at least against best practise, to use poison away from buildings. Try a tunnel trap at each feeder, you will catch a few but the survivors do get trap shy.

You can get poison specifically cleared for use away from buildings. I have a 25kg bag, but can't remember the name at the moment. Poisoning is viewed as a last resort where other methods have failed/Not practical. Done properly it is safe, and very effective.

Ive not actually seen them as the feeders are in the cover crop, The only thing you can see are holes and runs that they use. I didn't want to use poison as there are birds moving around in the crop. I may have to use a bit of old pipe with a trap in it. Thanks for all the advice.

Ive not actually seen them as the feeders are in the cover crop, The only thing you can see are holes and runs that they use. I didn't want to use poison as there are birds moving around in the crop. I may have to use a bit of old pipe with a trap in it. Thanks for all the advice.

I poisoned round all my feeders last year season. I used a piece of pipe to feed poison down the holes out of sight, then once the poison stopped disappearing I filled the holes to make sure they weren't re-opend. Fenns are slow to get working as rats are neophobic, and don't forget they have to be checked a minimum of once a day

I poisoned round all my feeders last year season. I used a piece of pipe to feed poison down the holes out of sight, then once the poison stopped disappearing I filled the holes to make sure they weren't re-opend. Fenns are slow to get working as rats are neophobic, and don't forget they have to be checked a minimum of once a day

Combination of poison, traps and shooting. Heard it time and time again that rats are neophobic....... I’m sure only useless rat catchers spread that myth, if anything I would say the are inquisitive. I set 3 new tunnel traps last weekend, Iv caught 4 rats between them less than a week later. Get them in the right place they will catch.

Edited by zipdog

Products containing second generation anticoagulants(SGARS)which most modern rat poisons are,should never be used in open country side or near game covers it tells you this on the label. This is because of secondary poisoning of raptors red kites barn owls buzzards this is because poisoned rats and mice can take while to die and if eaten by raptors will kill them. You can use other rat poisons but these are not as effective due to resistance building up. To buy (SGARS) you have to go on a training course and take a short exam which will give you a certificate of competence enabling you to buy this product. There are many people offering this qualification including BASC city and guilds lantra. Always read the label wear protective clothing and transport use and dispose of pesticides and poisons safely. Going back to your original question the best way to control rats in holes around feeders is to gas them using phoxtoxin or talunex pellets. You have to have certificate of competence to use and buy this product which is available from the same ones who do the rat poisons. Hope this helps black powder gunner (city and guilds assessor and trainer)

Don't think fenn traps have to be checked daily as they are kill traps..... but it is good practice to

I have no trouble with fenn traps seem the most effective of traps I use in success ratio.... use also large mouse type and live multi catch.

Don't think fenn traps have to be checked daily as they are kill traps..... but it is good practice to

I have no trouble with fenn traps seem the most effective of traps I use in success ratio.... use also large mouse type and live multi catch.

plus 1, fenn traps do not need to be checked daily.