Tested AMS Positive Carrier.. Gutted

Just had the test results back and my WCS is a carrier of AMS.

Gutted. :unhappy:

Planned to have a litter in the future from him and use him as a stud to a friends bitch, who may of been interested.

Is this out the window for him now, and worth getting him neutered when hes old enough?

Edited by Pigeonshooter22

If you want to keep his nice coat and not risk changing his temperament you could have a vasectomy done.

I had the red setter in my avatar done as he was cryptorchid, but red setters often end up with orange woolley coats if neutered.

I wanted the undescended testicle removed, but our vet would only do this if he was rendered incapable of breeding. We compromised on a vasectomy instead of a full neuter.

If you want to keep his nice coat and not risk changing his temperament you could have a vasectomy done.

I had the red setter in my avatar done as he was cryptorchid, but red setters often end up with orange woolley coats if neutered.

I wanted the undescended testicle removed, but our vet would only do this if he was rendered incapable of breeding. We compromised on a vasectomy instead of a full neuter.

Thank you - I really don't want to neuter him unless I have too but I will if its to risky to ever breed from him!

Sorry to hear this, I know how it feels as I have a PRA carrier. You must have been desperately unlucky as AMS is not common, hence my post on your last thread - sorry.

There's no need to neuter him just because you're not going to breed from him. And if you want to breed from him you can put him over a clear tested bitch then only carriers can be produced and a carrier will never develop the disease.

But there are a lot of good stud dogs out there, I'd be looking more at what he's like when he grows up and whether he's worthy of being a stud dog before thinking about breeding from him irrespective of the AMS thing.

Sorry to hear this, I know how it feels as I have a PRA carrier. You must have been desperately unlucky as AMS is not common, hence my post on your last thread - sorry.

There's no need to neuter him just because you're not going to breed from him. And if you want to breed from him you can put him over a clear tested bitch then only carriers can be produced and a carrier will never develop the disease.

But there are a lot of good stud dogs out there, I'd be looking more at what he's like when he grows up and whether he's worthy of being a stud dog before thinking about breeding from him irrespective of the AMS thing.

Very true WGD - Going to wait and see how he turns out first! Thank you!

I had never heard of this, had to do a search to find out what it was, was your dog displaying symptoms?

Nope - only 'affected' dogs do. I had him tested as I planned to breed from him and thought it was worth doing as didn't want to breed from him if he was 'AFFECTED' mainly as it can be life threatening if they are. (didn't expect him to be a carrier)

Apparently tons are affected in the Cocker world, but not alot test them, even FTCH owners don't bother (reading into this). Its a 'new' thing testing them apparently. Maybe I shouldn't of bothered but I rather know. Now looking into it, as long as hes put to a CLEAR bitch the pups would be fine.

Edited by Pigeonshooter22

We have all dogs and I don't intend to breed from any of them, but none have been neutered apart from my oldest who was done before we got him.

If they are kept under control and not allowed to roam a dog won't be breeding unless its arranged. No need to neuter unless you have an intact bitch in the house and they have unlimited contact.

A lot of this must neuter idea goes back to when a lot of folks allowed their dogs to roam loose.

Same here almost to the word! I've bred a PRA carrier to a clear dog, all new owners are aware of the possibility that their pups could be carriers bar the one we tested who was clear. It's not the end of the world.