7mm rem mag

fieldwanderer

Why sell it? The 260 will do it all, comfortably and with less recoil than the .308 parent case? 260Rem home loaded with 140 to 160gr pills will take any deer in the UK to moderate distances, using something like Accubonds.

If you just want something different, how about the 7mm-08 or better still, the 284 Winchester? One of those or a 25-06 Remington. Avoid magnums would be my advice. Lots of bang, lots of recoil, most are nasty to shoot but pack a punch.

If you find need for two cals, a 222/223 and a .308 would seem the obvious "do-it-all" combination.

Why sell it? The 260 will do it all, comfortably and with less recoil than the .308 parent case? 260Rem home loaded with 140 to 160gr pills will take any deer in the UK to moderate distances, using something like Accubonds.

If you just want something different, how about the 7mm-08 or better still, the 284 Winchester? One of those or a 25-06 Remington. Avoid magnums would be my advice. Lots of bang, lots of recoil, most are nasty to shoot but pack a punch.

If you find need for two cals, a 222/223 and a .308 would seem the obvious "do-it-all" combination.

Think a .204, .223 etc and what I have would be as good as anything. To be honest, I'm not getting on as well with the .260 as when the rifle was a .22-250 - most of the foxes I've had with it have still struggled to get back up despite massive damage to the chest area yet the .22-250 dropped them much cleaner on the spot (hornady eld-x and sst). I've only had one roe with it so far, with berger vld hunting but expansion was next to non-existant and I had to take a follow up (first shot must've missed the heart by about an inch and the second found it's mark, both exit holes under 1/2").

I suppose the question really is do I change cal. or keep looking for a bullet that I'm happier with in the .260?

With the foxes, their chests are often wide open when I retrieve them but they don't drop stone dead on the spot like the .22/250 used to. I did try some other hornady which seemed to be an early version of vmax 129gr if I remember right. I was given a hundred or so but couldn't get a decent group with them.

Have been considering a soft bullet for the deer though, maybe even barnes tsx it's just the time and expense of developing yet another load for the rifle that puts me off.

I did use mine for the odd fox but bullet drop is too much of an issue whilst out in the dark. 22 cf and similar don't have the drops that the 260 has, mind you I was using 140s. The main reason why I won't use my 260 at night, if I could range find in the dark accurately then I certainly would, there's a couple I'd like to take out at 550-600 yds ;-)

I'll stick with my 22.250s