There seems to be a shortage of pigeons,nothing new then!

lakeside1000

August was a great month, all the harvest's rape and wheat were producing pigeons everywhere on the stubble's, September wasn't bad either but now into October they have gone.

I drove out on Thursday morning to look for birds, checking all my permissions but one after another they all brought disappointment,

A few crows and the odd pigeon but the flocks had gone, even the young rape only had one or two birds on.

after driving in circles for over two hours I gave up and headed home.

In frustration I decided to visit a riverbank permission for ducks, arriving late around 5 pm I settled down in the reed beds , Ducks came thick and fast, and I do mean fast, flying down wind they passed me like missiles, I did get a few shots off and had a great hit out at 50 yards bringing down a lovely fat mallard drake, some compensation for a bad day but my real love is getting on the pigeons so I will be out again soon continuing the search, I know they are out there somewhere so lets hope perseverance pays off , I think things will change once we get into the colder weather and a few frosts, and with several hundred acres of young rape plants to cover there should be some birds, fingers crossed. ;);)

I have only shot once this week on a ploughed up Maize field , looked at 3 or 4 freshly drilled fields and apart from Rooks , Crows ect there was very little pigeon activity .

Driving down the halls drive to day there are Oak trees either side of the drive , underneath every tree there were pigeons busy eating the acorns , so I would have thought the pigeons you had seen over the last few weeks haven't gone anywhere ( as there is no need to ) are now eating there way into this years acorn harvest and if its a good year for acorns will be doing that until most of them are eaten , and then with a bit of luck they might well turn there attention to the numerous rape fields about.

Yep I completely agree with marsh man, pigeons are bound to be on acorns and beechmast now, which seems to have yielded very well in some areas.

Once the pheasant shooting starts the pigeons may get stired up from the woods, but until natures bounty has dried up the pigeons wont need be out on the rape which could be as late as Christmas time.

There are a lot of pigeons in the woods in my area and mainly corvids on the fields.

I was quite surprised that a field of maize, which I have shot many pigeons over in the past, has been untouched since it was harvested almost two weeks ago.

The bean stubbles were also quiet and disced in quite quickly, which didn't help.

I've got a field of spring barley which the combine has not been able to get on, apart from two circuits. I left it for ages because even though it's a very poor feed crop, the farmer didn't want me spoiling it further. There was 250+ on it before I finally got the ok to shoot it, which is a good lump for the area. I shot 63 off it 10 days ago, and understandably it's gone quiet now. Despite plenty of over-ripe barley the pigeon are all in the oaks scoffing the acorns and giving me the V's!hunter.gif.pagespeed.ce.GRvNRKGFmJ.gif