New shotgun, First Pheasant!

Lloyd90

Well I was out today with the 12 Bore Club. After a good walk the fella I was with was having some problems with his ankle, so had to stop and wait for me as I cracked on.

He told me head down to the bottom of the farm and there should be a few pheasants holding in the cover.

Now I've been beating before but never been fortunate enough to shoot them myself. So off I go down the farm, beating the bushes and hedges as best I can without a dog.

I got to the bottom of the farm and see a bit of movement, as I walk to the area my mate told me out exploded a pheasant!! He was magnificent, bursting from cover and soaring away.

I brought up my gun and swung through towards the bird, barely having time to aim it was more instant that anything. All I seen after the BOOM was a big cloud of feathers and the bird falling like a stone to the ground!!

Bloody hell I couldn't believe it. I walked up looking around for the bird and found it in the grass, a nice clean kill and my first pheasant in the bag :) and even better with my new Silver Pigeon shotgun I recently bought! Very pleased with that!

IMG_9327.jpg

Edited by Lloyd90

I am well please for you, But that bird is a bit young to be putting pictures up on an open forum.

I shot it as it burst from cover instinctively. It's the first pheasant I've ever shot and I was quite happy that I was even able to hit it.

Afterwards however my mate and I did say the birds looked too small and called it a day, rather than continue on with trying to shoot anymore. It was an enjoyable few hours walking about, and hopefully the birds will be in much better condition later in the season :) will leave them a few weeks to get shaped up!

who put them down, they look like only just left he pen, not even got tail feathers

Could well be a wild bird, still plenty of wild ones here at that stage. Not something I would raise a barrel to but as said in season and to be fair it will still make good eating.

Nice read and despite it being a young bird you did nothing illegal and if you have learned from it then it's worthwhile for the next time your out.

We have issues on our shoot as we start early in the season and release birds earlier in the year compared to the estate next door who don't start until mid November.

It's difficult picking out mature birds but the young ones that have moved in don't tend to have the strength or desire to fly as well as birds we have been dogging in over the last few months.

Look forward to reading about your next outing!

Edited by Nmb

Well done on the shot Lloyd, we had birds not any bigger than that at the end of the season last year, they just didn't do.

There are just to many keyboard warriors on this board now who are full of their own importance. I bet they felt elated when they shot their first bird.

but have to try and knock your feelings on yours. If you can't say something nice, keep you mouth shut.

No wonder 4 or 5 I know don't come on here anymore and use other sites.

Edited by tonker