open cert request

adi786

Hi Guys,

Am looking forward to write down to firearms to request removing condition (open certificate). I've got FAC for like 2 years now and have been using it a lot.. have fired lots of rounds of 22/17 and 243.

Wanted to know if someone got sample letter or something i can use and change it accordingly and will it worth adding in request that how many ammo i have used, no. of deer dispatched plus main issue that

some perms i get offered i have been asked to go on and do the job.. whereas currently its a pain to email perm letter etc signed to them and wait for them to give me green signal?

MANY THANKS ALL!

Mines 4 1/2 years in

3000 22lr

1000+ hmr

1000 .223

300+ .243

They are still telling me no without qualification on shooting unless it's my job of which I need proof.

I think you'll be doing well sorry.

Mines Staffordshire.

I told them I get calls all the time about rabbits and foxes so letters /land approval is hard as it needs doing within hours.

I've 6 farms listed /cleared and they are getting rude with me now.

My renewal is February so I'll wait now.

Edited by team tractor

All forces are different so you might be lucky. Give them all the information you can like number of times you've been out, what you've shot and so on.

Not sure what you mean about emailing permission letters. On a closed certificate, as long as you have permission and the land is cleared, you don't need to inform your firearms people of each bit of land, unless they've put some extra conditions on your ticket. Normally it's just "Land deemed suitable by chief officer."

Agreed if the land isn't already cleared it's a pain.

I asked Thames Valley for open after three years on my FAC air as at the time I had a lot of small permissions intermitantly where I could have used it rather than my sub 12 ft/lb and it would have saved having two rifles and got told they will only talk open tickets after first renewal.

All forces are different so you might be lucky. Give them all the information you can like number of times you've been out, what you've shot and so on.

Not sure what you mean about emailing permission letters. On a closed certificate, as long as you have permission and the land is cleared, you don't need to inform your firearms people of each bit of land, unless they've put some extra conditions on your ticket. Normally it's just "Land deemed suitable by chief officer."

Agreed if the land isn't already cleared it's a pain.

Its amazing Walshie how this myth that you need to send in written permission every time you get a new bit of ground to your firearms office keeps going and going.

I just checked a new bit of ground which is out of my area with that counties FEO and he was going on about getting written permission and informing my office that I was shooting it as I was on closed ticket. All I wanted to know was if it was cleared and to what calibre (which it was happily to .243 :)).

Fortunately my FEO know the law and as far as she is concerned if its out of her patch its down to me to find out what its cleared for from the local office.

Its amazing Walshie how this myth that you need to send in written permission every time you get a new bit of ground to your firearms office keeps going and going.

I just checked a new bit of ground which is out of my area with that counties FEO and he was going on about getting written permission and informing my office that I was shooting it as I was on closed ticket. All I wanted to know was if it was cleared and to what calibre (which it was happily to .243 :)).

Fortunately my FEO know the law and as far as she is concerned if its out of her patch its down to me to find out what its cleared for from the local office.

I think it's a myth they would like to perpetuate just so they can feel they are keeping a bit more control. As for checking if the land is cleared in another force area, your own firearms team can check land anywhere in the UK as it's a national database.

Edited by walshie

Ive been told to put together a shooting log, the more I shoot the more chance of getting open ticket... Completely pointless imo. I was made to do the firearms awareness to just be allowed a 243. So I have that. Im just leaving it until my renewal and put in for it then. Really doesnt stop me shooting as where i shoot is cleared so im effectively acting like it's open

Edit - the whole restricted/open is an odd one really. As has been said, if the land is cleared you dont have to inform, so they wont know where you do or dont shoot in theory.

Edited by ShootingEgg

I had a heated debate with Cheshire fld about This, they wouldn't open my ticket even though i sent in a few pieces of ground to be checked. Got told i need to send written permission in. I said no I don't my license doesn't say so just need to make sure it's cleared for x calibre. Got s phone call a couple of hours later apologising saying you are right just need to make sure lands cleared... as for opening my ticket, they said automatically after first renewal or if I can give a good reason to why it should be open. Since then, having achieved dsc1 I will be sending in for a 308 and preferably for them to open my ticket. Can only try :)

Depends what area.

Mine states "on any ground I have been granted permission" for the purpose of zeroing, vermin control, stalking, protection of public health and public protection.

This included a few years ago being a police responder if required. Since ARU's are far more plentiful that is no longer a requirement.

Thankfully I never got that call for the bull running up the high street

The difference between forces removing closed conditions is very large. When I first applied for my FAC (HMR and .223) they would only grant the HMR. Ten weeks after that I applied for a .223 again, was granted (closed) and they opened my HMR conditions. Kept banging in new permission clearances requests - ten weeks after getting the .223 that was opened too. So from FAC issued to open on HMR and .223 was 20 weeks. From my perspective, the biggest factor seemed to be the amount of perm clearances, but they did ask ammo usage on both calibres.

Edited by racing snake

Edit - the whole restricted/open is an odd one really. As has been said, if the land is cleared you dont have to inform, so they wont know where you do or dont shoot in theory.

Not sure about the technicalities on that one. Yes I agree that if you know the land's cleared for a specific calibre already you're good to go, but the only people I'd trust as to give you 100% reliable info on clearance is your FEO dept. I think it's worded along the lines of the onus being on you to be sure it's definitely cleared for the calibe you're using.

It's all very odd, part of our land has never been cleared for firearms, when we moved into the farmhouse I asked for them to take a look and they cleared it to .204, why? Your guess...

Turns out anyway, a friend has his fac granted and wanted to shoot .22wmr, and was told he can't until the land is surveyed again as .22 is bigger than .20, disregarding the slight difference of 1000ft/lb😄

Sorry for the hijack, but I have tried to get land cleared and they will only advise ‘it’s cleared for 243’ and not ‘up to’ and when chased don’t respond. I was looking to shoot HMR over the land which I have written permission for, am I right I n thinking that this would be ok? fAO are pretty useless here (Essex)

Whole thing does my head in. I have 20+ farms cleared I am waiting on 3. If they are not on the data base they require a signed 686 with contact details to check. Last visit the guy just said you know what you are doing get on with it. I asked for an open which was agreed on hmr but not for 243. Despite evidence of use. Back on the case when I get back from hols.

It's all very odd, part of our land has never been cleared for firearms, when we moved into the farmhouse I asked for them to take a look and they cleared it to .204, why? Your guess...

Turns out anyway, a friend has his fac granted and wanted to shoot .22wmr, and was told he can't until the land is surveyed again as .22 is bigger than .20, disregarding the slight difference of 1000ft/lb

That's madness. I can't get my head around the logic. Did you persuade them otherwise? Or did they come back and survey again?

If they came back they're guilty of wasting public money.

That's madness. I can't get my head around the logic. Did you persuade them otherwise? Or did they come back and survey again?

If they came back they're guilty of wasting public money.

It's total madness, they did resurvey for another shooter who wants to use his .270, although the initial enquiry was for zeroing which they declined, so I just gave him permission to shoot deer. Cleared.

It's total madness, they did resurvey for another shooter who wants to use his .270, although the initial enquiry was for zeroing which they declined, so I just gave him permission to shoot deer. Cleared.

Christ, so one minute they refuse .22wmr and the next they say OK to .270. The end game is the other shooter gets to shoot deer and will be conditioned for zeroing. His ticket will be open i guess? :rolleyes:

I've a land with .22hornet passed

My mate has 22lr passed on it :/

That's mad. Why would they clear land twice? Hornet seems to be an odd calibre to clear it for anyway. It's usually 22 centrefire or whatever. If it's cleared for hornet for one person, it's cleared for hornet for everyone. They really need to get their act together.

That's mad. Why would they clear land twice? Hornet seems to be an odd calibre to clear it for anyway. It's usually 22 centrefire or whatever. If it's cleared for hornet for one person, it's cleared for hornet for everyone. They really need to get their act together.

We don't get 22cf passed with staffs. I can't have .222 50 but 223 ??? I know I know it's stupid.

He rang me saying he's got a chicken farm but needs it passing. I said it's already passed 12 months ago for 22 hornet.

He had a call saying it's passed 22lr for him .

Messed up.

I've another piece passed to 30/06 for the owner but they won't clear it over 243 for me. :/

Edited by team tractor