i must be mad

yickdaz

i turned out today knowing there was rain forecast, but thought to myself they will only be showers, they wasn't showers it was persistant rain that never stopped all session, i headed to a field of standing barley that i had seen birds flighting to last sat but i didn't set up because of the rain, it was he same story today birds flighting to it and raining,i watched for 20 mins then it stopped raining and brightened up a little so thought right i,ll have a go, called at the farm and gave the farmer the heads up that i will be shooting,

i was set up by 1pm with just enforcer decoys out,which they came in well to then added an ff5 and the rotary a little later on first hour was good i had 30 down in that time, and thought this could get good, then the rain came back at 2pm and never stopped until i packed up i put some waterproofs on and carried on shooting they came in even in the heavy rain but a lot slower than the first hr when it was dry i sat it out because i was getting shooting otherwise i would of just packed up, it was worth the soaking in the end i managed 74 and picked 68

post-21887-0-24071600-1507399921_thumb.jpg

Nice bag. The wind last weekend put an end to it for me. The acorns and beechmast are down and the birds are just staying in the roosting woods. That field however is going to be brill for you if it doesn't get cut!

theres another standing field the otherside of the farm which had birds going to it but farmer doesn't like you shooting near the cattle in the next field, its a dairy farm you see

Well done Daz, shooting in the rain is an awkward situation as it makes all processes more difficult . Well done for heading out and setting up,you deserved a good bag and your tenacity paid off well done. That field will be good for you in the future, keep an eye on it.

Edited by pigeon controller

Strange. Your shooting isn't going to bother his cattle?!?? Anyhow, good shooting. The other thing there will be plenty of in due course will be rats. And with the rats will come the foxes.

we know that but trust me this farmer is very particular about his cattle, and we have to tread very carefully on this farm

and out will come the old fellas rifle

You were a braver man than me to stick it out in the rain , as it turned out you were well rewarded with a very good bag , and well deserved may I add.

I went out just before dinner to look at a drilled field that was previously Maize, there were a few pigeons on it but a lot more corvids , the sky was dark with very little movement so I couldn't really convince myself it was worth the risk of getting wet .rather than go home with nothing I went to where they had been lifting spuds and I managed to nick , no sorry pick a couple of carrier bags before the rain came , time I got home it was raining hard and by more luck than judgement I managed to stay dry .