Ford Focus bonnet release kit

steve_b_wales

I think there was a post about a transit bonnet lock on here some time ago....smae sort of mechanism.

I drilled mine out and did away with the key, tbh not much worth stealing in an engine bay these days, plus when the ford badge drops dowm and covers the key hole youd never know.

I think there was a post about a transit bonnet lock on here some time ago....smae sort of mechanism.

I drilled mine out and did away with the key, tbh not much worth stealing in an engine bay these days, plus when the ford badge drops dowm and covers the key hole youd never know.

The key mechanism has been taken out by our friendly local mechanic. He made a 'T' shaped bar that you fit through the grill, which connects to the bonnet release catch. It's okay, but very fiddly to line it all up, especially in the dark.

The key mechanism has been taken out by our friendly local mechanic. He made a 'T' shaped bar that you fit through the grill, which connects to the bonnet release catch. It's okay, but very fiddly to line it all up, especially in the dark.

Cool - your half way there then.

Can I ask why you need to be getting the bonnet up in the dark?

We had a focus years ago, only ever lifted the bonnet when screen wash ran out.

Steve, to make the lock yourself is pretty straight forward however can be very irritating if you have fat fingers like me. There are a number of rings with various cutouts that are numbered. Remove them and put them in order and refit. Time consuming but not over difficult by any means, pair of tweezers or thin nose pliers should do you ok!

Cool - your half way there then.

Can I ask why you need to be getting the bonnet up in the dark?

We had a focus years ago, only ever lifted the bonnet when screen wash ran out.

I don't go under it, it's my wife's car. She's afraid of breaking down one night and even though we are with the AA, they might not get it open. She's getting rid of the car in a few months but wants to get the bonnet catch fixed first.

Steve, to make the lock yourself is pretty straight forward however can be very irritating if you have fat fingers like me. There are a number of rings with various cutouts that are numbered. Remove them and put them in order and refit. Time consuming but not over difficult by any means, pair of tweezers or thin nose pliers should do you ok!

Thanks. There's a guy in work with her who said he new someone in a local garage that will do the job for her. She's arranging to get in touch with him soon.

• 2 weeks later...