Parker hale scout

R1nut

Blast effect (on you) from the muzzle brake, will be the biggest potential detriment to accuracy.

Aaaargghhh! Tell me about it! My late father had one in 308 as a stalking rifle and being anywhere near him when he fired it just wasn't pleasant. I was on a BDS range training day years ago and the guy in the next lane had one in .243...bloody hell! I had to wait for him to take his shot on the various targets before I could settle for mine.... the only saving grace was that he'd got the muzzle break on upside and it kicked two shades of it out of him whenever he pulled the trigger as it tried to disappear back over his shoulder :oops: ... he just wouldn't have it that it was the wrong way up though. Sometimes there is a god. :lol:

The 308 was pretty accurate...... so I understand. :lol:

cheers

Fizz

You're going to lose velocity and velocity counts when you're trying to stay above the sound barrier. If your ranges are short (in target rifle terms) then there is no reason it can't be accurate although adding lightness to any rifle increases felt recoil. A moderator would help.

You're going to lose velocity and velocity counts when you're trying to stay above the sound barrier. If your ranges are short (in target rifle terms) then there is no reason it can't be accurate although adding lightness to any rifle increases felt recoil. A moderator would help.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone any experience of this rifle in .308?

Am I right in saying the 18" barrel will make it slightly less accurate than say a 26" at range?

No you are not correct.

Neither velocity or barrel length are a sole detriment to accuracy.

The US Police use 18" barrelled .308 as sniper rifles

Pretty sure their accuracy requirements are higher than most

Can a short barrel be inaccurate? Sure

So can long barrels

Is the sound barrier an issue for long range shooting? Yes

But choose an appropriate bullet and crack on

You can push a .308 way past the transonic stage with a decent bullet and still maintain accuracy

PH Scout is a well made and accurate rifle

more important would be to check it for rust

Rust kills more rifles than any amount of shooting does

No you are not correct.

Neither velocity or barrel length are a sole detriment to accuracy.

The US Police use 18" barrelled .308 as sniper rifles

Pretty sure their accuracy requirements are higher than most

Can a short barrel be inaccurate? Sure

So can long barrels

Is the sound barrier an issue for long range shooting? Yes

But choose an appropriate bullet and crack on

You can push a .308 way past the transonic stage with a decent bullet and still maintain accuracy

PH Scout is a well made and accurate rifle

more important would be to check it for rust

Rust kills more rifles than any amount of shooting does

Absolutely. I had a Remington SPS with a 26" barrel that was like toting a bloody barge-pole around, so I cut it down to 20". Not only was it a bit lighter on the front end, it actually shot tighter groups.

Length of barrel make no odds really for shooting over the sort of distances we tend to shoot over. Maybe when you are shooting Match rifles out to 600+, and that is generally to get a longer sight base with aperture sights.