Steel through 8 bore

Any of you lads used it? Iv got a steel barrelled armitalia 8 bore, choked at 3/4. Lad I bought it from give me some data , using steel powder and steel shot through it, iv not used it yet ... But was thinking of giving it a try. Iv got 10kg of T shot I could use through. Any thoughts on it? Safe to use? Cheers

We were out on Friday night shooting on our marsh with two 19 century made 8 bores both with Damascus barrels we had ten shots between us and shot 6 greylags. the cartridges were home loads resized industrial cases blue dot powder and 2.5 ounces of BB bismuth these cost £3 each to reload total cost of the night out £30 you can not go and watch a football match for that. The amount of shots you get in a season is not that many, but the shear joy of firing a piece of history that was made when Queen Victoria was on the throne out ways the cost of the catridges.

We were out on Friday night shooting on our marsh with two 19 century made 8 bores both with Damascus barrels we had ten shots between us and shot 6 greylags. the cartridges were home loads resized industrial cases blue dot powder and 2.5 ounces of BB bismuth these cost £3 each to reload total cost of the night out £30 you can not go and watch a football match for that. The amount of shots you get in a season is not that many, but the shear joy of firing a piece of history that was made when Queen Victoria was on the throne out ways the cost of the catridges.

Totally agree with this but my point is your average working man could never afford to do so.

Think it's 13lb. The data I have uses the big fibre cup wads and a plastic wrap inside it

It's alot to ask for , I know folk shoot plenty of steel through matador 10s with plenty of choke , but they are using proper steel shot wads , it's your wad setup that would put me off big steel , I think your gun is a proper true 8b not a bored out 10b , they made alot of 8s and 4s in the 80s .

At the moment I'm using bb bismuth in my gun, as said it isn't fired that many times a season.. Iv no problem using the stuff or any other non toxic to be honest, post was made purely as a query.. data I have (the steel one) uses bb and lad I bought it from had used this receipe.. Reason I asked about T shot was ...I use it in my 10 bore, granted in an after market choke . But few recent threads seems lads are using big steel in fixed choked sxs 10 bores

It's alot to ask for , I know folk shoot plenty of steel through matador 10s with plenty of choke , but they are using proper steel shot wads , it's your wad setup that would put me off big steel , I think your gun is a proper true 8b not a bored out 10b , they made alot of 8s and 4s in the 80s .

Yes it's a true 8 bore, Infact slightly over sized. ..I'll not risk using it if it's going to damage the gun.

Yes it's a true 8 bore, Infact slightly over sized. ..I'll not risk using it if it's going to damage the gun.

Yeah nice guns mate , you see the odd one about, and the odd 4b some are light weight , some are really big guns !

Keep using it , they are nice to see out folk don't mind paying the extra for a few shots a year , I know I would .

Totally agree with this but my point is your average working man could never afford to do so.

I'm not having a go eden but its less than the price of a pint (I think not been in a bub for years) the blokes I work with drink 8pint a night when they go out !

atb DD

I suspect the average working man could easily stump up £3 a cartridge for a spot of wild fowling if that is their hobby.

If you have got to the point of sinking the money into club membership, fuel to and from your fowling site (I made the mistake of working out the proportion diesel made up of all my shooting costs once), waders, coat, gun, licence, dog and running costs, the difference in price between a 12 bore budget clay cart and an 8 bore of finest hand picked bismuth will make little difference to the overall cost of a seasons shooting.

I am assuming here that a typical fowler might go through 100 shots a season, or an extra cost of about 2.5 tanks of diesel.

The Armitalia is a strong gun steel barrels and heavy made, i think even with T shot in the big bore it would go through the chokes ok T is not going to bridge in an 8 bore.

Card cup wad could be a good start with some plastic milk carton inside and slit felt with gas seal should manage without pin holing.

Before i went for steel itself try some copper shot i know its only 3.5mm but it is hard non deforming yet able to be used in direct contact with bores without damaging, so using this wont damage this gun if your attempts at wadding are not enough to prevent pin holing.

I have no idea where to start on loads but Blue Dot could be a bit quick for steel in the 8, i might be tempted to try A steel if i was looking at this, start around a 46 gram, i have a few 8 bore card cups i will weigh what shot charge they will take in BBB steel tomorrow if you dont already know.

I have one of those Spanish bored out tens a greylag and an english double 8 i would not try steel in either of them, for different reasons but those Armatalia double hammer 8s are big strong guns and modern enough to use hard and i think they would work with steel if that is what you want to use.

Edited by lancer425

Hatsanmad. Why not?

As much as i like steel shot in these older guns i would rather use a alternative like bismuth or like someone else has said copper. Only reason being i dont think steel shot can or will do these beautiful old guns any justice its just my preference i have nothing against steel and use alot of it but for one of these old time pieces another lead alternative would be my choice

Cheers for replies fellas. The data I have at minute for it is;

40grain steel powder

Gulandi wad (petals cut off)

2nitro cards

Card cup wad with plastic wad inside of that

2 1/8oz steel

Rto

As I said, not bothered if I can't put steel in it. More than happy to use non toxic.

Any help on load data would be much appreciated lancer thank you

Cheers for replies fellas. The data I have at minute for it is;

40grain steel powder

Gulandi wad (petals cut off)

2nitro cards

Card cup wad with plastic wad inside of that

2 1/8oz steel

Rto

As I said, not bothered if I can't put steel in it. More than happy to use non toxic.

Any help on load data would be much appreciated lancer thank you

Be careful using the gualandi plastic wads they are manufactured for industrial use, I find they are very rigid and unforgiving in the gas seal area and can vary significantly in diameter, some being 10/15 thou over .835 (nom 08 bore) I have some at .848 dia!

The potential problem with these oversized wads is increased when using through heavily choked barrels! Ring bulges!

I now use mainly fibre and card wads..........And mic up all 8 bore gualandi wad gas seals before using them.

Edit to add, my 2 x 8 bore Tolley guns measure .835 steel and .824 laminated steel, so you could imagine the potential trouble, shooting an .848 plastic gualandi wad through an .824 dia barrel..........plus a full choke constriction?

And I too have had GD make me up a "bottle top" card wad maker for inverted OP wads! Great bit of kit!

Edited by panoma1