HW100T Pure class

JD140

I shoot shotguns and have done for years and haven't really bothered with airguns since being a kid, even though I still have a Webley Vulcan, which is for sale on here if anyone is interested. Anyway, I have a small holding and decided it would be a bit of fun to buy a modern air rifle to dispose of squirrels, rats, magpies, pigeons and jackdaws. So off I went and decided on a .177 Weihrauch HW100T with a Hawke illuminated reticle sight, also bought a bipod, bag, some targets and a gas bottle.

The first job was to set the sight up, so I measured out 32 yards and in five minutes was literally amazed by the accuracy of the thing, its surgical in its precision. Since then (which was only last Saturday) I've despatched 2 squirrels, 3 pigeons and 2 jackdaws and not missed a thing I've shot at. The illuminated sight is great for when the light is fading slightly and vermin just doesn't seem to stand a chance! When we were kids we used to shoot rabbits with .22 spring powered air rifles, they would do the job but weren't a patch on these things, plus this Weihrauch is nearly silent.

The last two shots I have taken were from the bottom of my paddock. The paddock rises up by about 30' and on top of it is a fully grown beech tree, on the uppermost branches of this is where I shot the last jackdaw and about ten feet below it with a head shot the squirrel, must be 50 yards. We don't have any rabbits this year but I'm sure this gun would drop them no problem whatsoever with a head shot.

What a truly amazing bit of kit and I'm one happy 53 year old, it's like being 14 again!!!

I have owned my HW100 Thumbhole in .22 for only a couple of months. With a Webley Viper carbine in .22 at legal limit and a carbine .22 Career 707 FAC at 28 lb, I was not looking for another PCP, but a neighbour offered me the rifle at a silly price, so bought it.

It has the same scope and bi-pod and am amazed at the effortless "silent but deadly" killing shots on rabbits, when shooting prone, or rested. There is no vibration from the hammer, just a dull click with surgical accuracy.

• 2 weeks later...

I treated myself to a .177 HW100K thumbhole on my last Birthday.

Nearly new for a silly low price.

Tried it out and realised why it was so cheap.

4" groups at 35y !!!

3 reasons for this.

The barrel was as dirty as a blackpower muzzle loader.

The Silencer was clipping.

The barrel was loose.

All easily sorted and it can now cover 5 shots with a 5p at 55 yards , benchrested.

A heavy rifle , which is all to the good for hide shooting but a bit of a lump for dragging round.

Love it !

Edited by Robertt

I still havent got round to getting one of these, mainly due to a domestic situation including two house moves in the last 9 months, but have just about got myself sorted now.

Im giving up my .243 as Ive just grown weary of dragging carcasses about and all that that entails, and as there are oodles if rabbits which no one shoots around my new location, am instead getting a HW 100 in .177..... I think. 🙂

I really like the lines of the FS model but not sure how practical this is now with suggestions that air rifles may become licensed, my thinking being that if theyre licensed I may as well go S1.

Am going to give it some in depth thought.

I shoot shotguns and have done for years and haven't really bothered with airguns since being a kid, even though I still have a Webley Vulcan, which is for sale on here if anyone is interested. Anyway, I have a small holding and decided it would be a bit of fun to buy a modern air rifle to dispose of squirrels, rats, magpies, pigeons and jackdaws. So off I went and decided on a .177 Weihrauch HW100T with a Hawke illuminated reticle sight, also bought a bipod, bag, some targets and a gas bottle.

The first job was to set the sight up, so I measured out 32 yards and in five minutes was literally amazed by the accuracy of the thing, its surgical in its precision. Since then (which was only last Saturday) I've despatched 2 squirrels, 3 pigeons and 2 jackdaws and not missed a thing I've shot at. The illuminated sight is great for when the light is fading slightly and vermin just doesn't seem to stand a chance! When we were kids we used to shoot rabbits with .22 spring powered air rifles, they would do the job but weren't a patch on these things, plus this Weihrauch is nearly silent.

The last two shots I have taken were from the bottom of my paddock. The paddock rises up by about 30' and on top of it is a fully grown beech tree, on the uppermost branches of this is where I shot the last jackdaw and about ten feet below it with a head shot the squirrel, must be 50 yards. We don't have any rabbits this year but I'm sure this gun would drop them no problem whatsoever with a head shot.

What a truly amazing bit of kit and I'm one happy 53 year old, it's like being 14 again!!!

I think most of the modern PCPs are capable of outstanding accuracy. What would make an interesting comparison is for you to try a few modern springers from AA HW or maybe Walther to see how they compare to your old Vulcan.

I've just sold my S200 because the Prosport I use is so good I don't want to use anything else.