Battery change question .

Cranfield

I am changing both 069 batteries on my Toyota Surf, one is quite "flat" and the other is not much better.

Three jump starts in the last week is too many.

Checking local sources I am getting quotes between £99.99 and £125 each.

This price obviously includes fitting, but I can buy a good brand online for less than £60 delivered.

My question is, as these batteries are in tandem, if I change them one at a time, can I assume I will have no radio code type problems ?

Basic question I know, but unbelievably (as a motor owner for 51 years) I have never changed a battery.

Thanks for the good news that I should have no radio code issues.

When I bought the vehicle one battery was "original", but the Dealer had to buy a new battery as the other one was dead.

So since I have had it there has been one new battery fitted and one poor one remains.

The test showed one to be just about dead and the other not much better, I was told that the strain on the better battery will drag it down quite fast.

My idea is that if I have two new batteries (5 year warranty available) then they should last a lot longer.

If the tests say that one is jaffed and the other not far off then i think you have the answer.

You will probably find as the weather gets colder they will just give up one day.

Take off the really dead one first, the other should have enough juice to keep the radio and such coded.

Or.....

Use a set of jump leads on the terminals to one of the spare batteries whilst you change the other.

That way no loss of power at all :-)

Also guessing the radio code card isnt in the owners manual/wallet in the glove box.

Always chuckled when we first had cars coming to us for deriving with their stickers up side window proudly staring that the vehicles radio was Security coded to find the code card still with the Service Book in the glovebox......