Bean stubble at last

ShropshireSam

Eventually managed to find some pigeons on a bean stubble last week. A first for me as they are usually cultivated before the pigeons find them...and a pleasant surprise after a quiet harvest. Farmer gratefully let me shoot even though he has partridge and pheasants nearby...very kind of him. I spotted a good number on the field last Tuesday at about 2 pm and decided to shoot on Wed to get a full afternoon on them and it was a stronger wind. A lot on the field when I arrived at 12:30. Not easy to choose where to shoot as a long narrow field surrounded by oaks in the hedges and two small woods I wanted to avoid as pheasants release pens in them. Moved them off and set up in the hedge close to a big old oak tree. Pigeons soon returned in big numbers and had a busy 20 min and then settled down to a steady trickle. Finished with 62 picked. Had some good sport as many pigeons came in on the wind and curled sharply into the pattern or dived in from a good height.

The field was cultivated the next day so got in just in time. Another field of beans was cut the same day but cultivated the next day. One field of beans still to be cut but that will be cultivated/drilled within a day now.

Good report and a worthwhile bag , at this time of the year it might be worth you starting a bit earlier as I have found lately it will start dying off now mid afternoon and even more so if its a dark sort of day .

If they are just cultivating your Beans you might get another go in a few days time as there will still be Beans laying about on the pulled up stubble , but don't upset the game shooters :good: