Money pit.

Lord Geordie

Well done Mate. What a carry on! :rolleyes:

Your not wrong there! Drilling one out, the flipping weld holding the nut to the chassis failed and the whole lot came out! I drilled the other out fine! So tapped that one out to an M8 then was scratching my head for a while. Passed the endoscoscope into the hole for a poke about. Then saw the back of the exhaust heat shield. So bent this down slightly to have a look. I could see a gap to get my hand in. I knew I had some M8 bolts I swiped out of a washer a few year back, so found those! Popped a 40mm washer on it and fed it through from the top, lifted the assembly up into place over the protruding bolt and slipped a washer and 13mm nut onto it, spun it on by finger until finger tight! Then popped a new bolt into the side I had tapped and bobs your uncle. Fed the cables through the guides and fed them into the rear trailing arm holes. And connected them to the cams. Reconnected the units electrics and then the battery! Started it up and tried the handbrake! Long whirrrrr! Oh dear. "Check handbrake!" So off and on again. This time short whirrr and bingo! 😊 Just needed to take up the slack. Checking this morning that the caliper is not leaking. If not I will get it booked in for MOT this week :yes:

Need to keep my eyes peeled for a cheap kangoo MPV now though. I will use this in the mean time, and trade it in if needs be. But if I can get the kangoo, it means I can get my mum and dad out and about.

So next time something happens! It's going in the garage :lol:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it's away back to the garage on Tuesday. The MOT today, everything was fine but he noticed a bit of play on the N/S/F wishbone (brand new fitted a few weeks back) and took it for a road test. He damn near lost the car after the front bush just popped out of the wishbone inexplicably? The car veered dangerously to the left and almost collided with the barrier. The wishbones are obviously not fit for purpose! I have contacted the company for a refund! But sadly the £230 fitting costs are lost now! The chap at the MOT centre has offered to get new ones for me and waive the VAT and fit them for £40 a side too so a hell of a lot cheaper than the garage I normally use. So in total around £150 to have the car done right. This time though with the garage supplying and fitting I am better placed should anything go wrong with the new ones. On a positive note, everything else is spot on and I even got some good comments about the jobs I have done and how they think it's a very good standard of work. Hopefully next week I can toss this ****** bus pass in the bin where it belongs :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you are back on the road L / G and hope you get a long spell of time with trouble free motoring , you are not one of the luckiest guys on the forum but you always seem to keep your chin up , Good luck .

P S , not to put you off , the worse motor I had by far was , a Peugeot 307 diesel turbo estate , I had a small water leak and the garage had to strip half the engine out to get to it , cost £550 , then the seals went , and finally the turbo went , another £500 + job , after I got it sorted out I sold it and got a Vauxhall estate and touch wood in 21/2 years it have been virtually trouble free.

I came from Vauxhall after the new 1.2 twin port tosh. I have had Vauxhall for years from the nova, chevette, Astra mk1 up to the last mk3. Cavalier mk2 until they were phased out. Then the most recent was the Agila 1.2 and that put me right off.

Had the 406 HDI 2000 reg and was a nice car until some kind person clattered it on New Year's Eve a few year back and just drove off. Wrote it off.

I like the renault. And after years of cheap "cheap to me" motors I decided something nice was overdue. So I bought it to treat myself. It's had over £1k spent on it now and used my rainy day fund. I swear it's female! It knew I had money there, then had a huge fit until I spent it. No cash? No ride! :lol:

When I am paid next, I will get the tracking done. Then need rear pads doing too. But it's flew through the MOT and not one advisory 😊 Feel chuffed about that.

• 3 weeks later...

Get rid asap L/G ,my Turbo went in 3 months,the hand brake seized ,front nearside shock snapped and then to finish off the cambelt snapped and killed it.They are a running drain just go on the owners forum and read the long long list of failed and failing Laguna,s .French cars suck ,Pug 405 crankshaft through the engine case ,308 both drive shafts cv joints failed and the radiator core split.Then the fuel pump died and the circuit board the relay lived on caught fire.You dont need this eating money your work very hard to earn.

Atb 

LG do you actually like driving this laguna ?

Seems its tested now a year a few bits doing over the next month or so, but if its driving and running well i would stick with it, buying another car unknown you could be leaving yourself wide open for yet more expenditure.

The anti French car theme running through some of these posts is just drivel, and any brand could be torn apart regardless of its country of origin or brand.

Edited by lancer425

To be fair, I really like the car! It's not too responsive in acceleration, which was a bit of a surprise considering my little 90bhp wagonR would have it for breakfast. It's around 135bhp apparently? But seems a little gutless for that? The ride is confident, corners well. Feedback from the wheel is positive too. The seats look good but comfort is an issue over distance. Aircon is not as good as i would have imagined but I am a window down kinda guy anyway. Parts could be cheaper! But on the whole! The parts I have replaced are ALL serviceable parts! They were parts that wear over time! At near 90k I would expect some work needed doing. I like it enough to stick with it for a few more year! But I also wish to move on to newer cars as time goes by. I estimate that by then I would have covered around 7k in two years so will still be sub 100k when I am done with it. I wish to get a newer car! But I have to walk before I can run. And to be fair I am able "just" to afford it while meeting my other more important bills. So the hope is to start building a small deposit to then move on to a newer car trading mine in, and using the squirrelled away cash to move up. 

To be fair any car that age will have plenty of issues to sort out. Ive bought a 1999 BMW Z3 with 60k miles in June, knowing I would have to do quite a bit of work on it, regardless of it's 'looks' and yes, I had to change all the suspension, many bushings (some still to go), and pretty much anything that is made of 'rubber' is suspect despite it having been well maintained. That include vacuum lines in the engine bay, window/door seals etc.

There's a reason why they go cheap, you'll send as much as you pay for the car in maintenance!

On 20/10/2017 at 19:34, Lord Geordie said:

Well it's away back to the garage on Tuesday. The MOT today, everything was fine but he noticed a bit of play on the N/S/F wishbone (brand new fitted a few weeks back) and took it for a road test. He damn near lost the car after the front bush just popped out of the wishbone inexplicably? The car veered dangerously to the left and almost collided with the barrier. The wishbones are obviously not fit for purpose! I have contacted the company for a refund! But sadly the £230 fitting costs are lost now! The chap at the MOT centre has offered to get new ones for me and waive the VAT and fit them for £40 a side too so a hell of a lot cheaper than the garage I normally use. So in total around £150 to have the car done right. This time though with the garage supplying and fitting I am better placed should anything go wrong with the new ones. On a positive note, everything else is spot on and I even got some good comments about the jobs I have done and how they think it's a very good standard of work. Hopefully next week I can toss this ****** bus pass in the bin where it belongs :lol:

sounds like euro car parts parts .