Some things just ain't meant to be.

bruno22rf

So totally out of the blue today came the txt to say that the Squizzer feeders were up and running and that, over the last week, one area in particular was being hammered. I know the spot well - it's a tiny copse with no more than 10 trees that seems to attract the furry blighters like moths to a light. Easy foray I think to myself as I hunt for the mag to my S410 - the mag that has been in my way for the last 6 months every time I am looking for something else. After eventually finding my spare one I begin the hunt for my hat - you know, the one that's been hanging around for ages. Half an hour later (and quite a bit of Anglo Saxon language) I give up the search for said hat and gather my kit together. Wellies? Did I think that they would be in the Welly box in the workshop......nope, not anywhere to be seen so it's another 10 minutes of foul language fighting with the laces of my walking boots. Finally, a quick call to Thames Valleys boys in blue to get a reference number to clear me shooting in a public area but guess what? 3/4 of an hour and nobody answered the phone. I give up!! I surrender!! I sat back down on the sofa and the dog jumped up and stared at me - pretty sure he knew he would get a second walk now. Sometimes things just ain't meant to be :sad1: .

Write them a letter, send it 2nd class and keep a copy when you go to do the job. Any questions just say your getting 2nd class service from the police so thought they would appreciate that. In 1974 they said that fast track Uni promotions was going to transform the police service.... done that hasn't it??

Opened the batting today with a score of 2 before a bunch of guys turned up with chainsaws to trim some of the foliage back. The ground in the copse is so hard to walk thru as brambles and some kind of ground Ivy wrap themselves around your feet and do their best to trip you over - I have suffered considerable muscle wastage lately in my legs so I had to stop every 10 yards or so. Good to find that excitement did not spoil my first shot at a Squizzer after waiting 6 months for this dream of a perm. to start again - thought I had missed as the pellet (.22 AA Field) made a perfect ping as it hit the steel backstop but the pest dropped like a stone, second hapless victim ran up the tree at the sound of the gun but stopped in the open for a fraction of a second too long giving me a perfect side on shot to the engine room - after disappearing for a few seconds he experienced a massive drop in altitude and made a rather undignified landing, upside down, on the ground. The challenge to beat last years 49 on this perm has begun :good: .

Yep - side on into the engine room, 3/4 grown Squirrel and a couple of seconds to take the shot as the blighter was heading for the canopy and not sitting head on at the feeder as his mate had been so I took the shot, not ideal as it took a few seconds for him to drop and he made it to the other side of the tree compared to #1 who dropped instantly with the headshot. First day of the season so may be a bit over keen but the Manager wants quick results and I need kills to keep him happy.I made the decision to shoot in a couple of seconds and took a shot that I would normally avoid.

Edited by bruno22rf

Simples SS - because the land is Parkland and is open to the public at all times - Winter is the least busy time for visitors so shooting must take place then. Normally get first TXT at the end of October and we have to stop end of March as public opinion is also against shooting whilst young Squirrels are around during the summer months. 5k of parkland spread over approx. 10 different locations each with an average of 3 feeders - I get a map of each woodland showing feeder locations with each one having a number. An employee of the owners fills the feeders every Weds and reports back to the Manager to advise on exactly which feeders are being hit the hardest - I then get a TXT (normally Fri evening) saying for example Ash Copse feeder #3 is empty and so on listing the next 3 or 4 busiest feeders. Clearing the place is nigh on impossible as numbers and area to cover are vast and Squizzers are not daft.

Nothing to do with any of my licences Dave - strict code of conduct in writing by the Landowner - about 5 pages of bumf to read and agree to before signing. You need at least 6 months membership at a local Air Riflet club followed by a statement from the club owner that you are a competent shot - then you need Insurance which must be bought along to an "interview" where you meet the Manager that controls all shooting. Sub 12ft/lb Airguns only in the Woodlands but I believe that .17 HMR's have been allowed under strict conditions in open countryside where Rabbits were a real problem. Anyhow - if the Manager believes you to be trustworthy then you get a written perm statement and a set of Maps.

Thank you Bruno it seems that the manager wants rid of the greys which is positive.

However the red tape is no doubt enforced from elsewhere.

Is trapping an option in areas not open to the public eg where machinery / plant is stored.

if such a place exists then you could potentially shoot as well all year if explain reasons.

Can you get permission for other responsible shooters during "season" and thus multiply your good work?

You have probably thought of all this but I am frustrated at this situation that is endemic across the nation. Don't they know there is a war on ?

The Landowners have a legal responsibility to control the greys and this was done with poison until it was banned about 3 or 4 years ago - the woodlands are also home to many species and there was evidence that poisoned corpses were killing the Owl population. The chap that used to put out the poison is now the one who fills the feeders and the Estate Manager now "vets" volunteer pest controllers for the Woodland - I believe that there are currently 6 but most can only shoot at weekends due to work, which is also the busiest time for visitors - this is a very public area and I have often had people walk within feet of me when tucked up in a hide. Some kind of co2 powered trap is being considered but I think that money is a main issue, I also think that a few more guns on the job would be useful but few people seem keen to join a club and pay subscription and range fees for 6 months just to shoot the Greys 6 months of the year - I also worry that if some clown goes and puts a pellet passed a visitors ear then we will all suffer so it's a catch 22 I'm afraid.

Chap that fill the feeders only fills the feeders and has no other involvement - sold the Scorpion but wished I hadn't as it was superb but only single shot - an S410 carbine .22 took it's place in the toolbox. Must say, credit where credit is due, hard to fault the Scorpion and I'm not a BSA fan.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally managed to get a decent couple of hours on the Grey Rats today. This weeks TXT reported 3 "playing" around a feeder in one of the tiny woods and I had noticed on my last visit that there were a few there - but they scarpered as soon as they realised I was there and the only chance I had of a shot was unsupported and not a viable option (wont bore you with why :sad1:) so I gave up. Today I stopped about 20 yards shorter where a small Sapling stood and , once my heart had steadied a little, took 2 from the feeder in a matter of seconds. I had planned to spend the afternoon here but after the 2 quick kills I decided that the disturbance was likely to scare anymore potential customers away so, after a quick call to the police to let them know, I moved to another wood about 1/2 mile away. 1st feeder was still full but I decided to try anyway - nothing for about 1/2 an hour then I was startled as a Fox almost walked into me!! I scared him off then moved to the other end of the wood - not had much luck at this one before as it is about the busiest part of the wood for visitors of the 2 legged kind but I gave it a go anyway. 1st kill was scratching around the floor near the (empty) feeder so I was off to a great start. Over the next 45 minutes 3 more ventured onto the feeder ( I had put a handful of peanuts on it) and gone the same way as their initial companion so I left with a grand score of 6 - well happy :yes:.

I have a pop up T Pee hide and set that overlooking the feeders on a ride. Flask of coffee and some biccies and I can sit there and flatten them all day. Also get to see lots of other wildlife as well.  Last trip I had eleven in 3hrs which made close to 80 in that small wood since march this year between I and the keeper.  Just wondering if it is worth setting up a permanent blind as they just seem to keep coming in.

Would appreciate your comments on setting up dedicated squirrel feeders.  I have one set up where there are a lot of tree rats but they have not touched it.

There are four pheasant feeders within twenty yards which they use ... would the feeders work better where there is no other food source?

Edited by Walker570

I would imagine that they are "switched on" to the Pheasant food and simply don't need to look elsewhere - you could try different bait in the Squirrel feeder i.e Peanuts or Walnuts (cheap enough from Lidl) in an attempt to pry them from the feeders or you might simply have to wait till the season is over and the Pheasant feeders are no longer being used. How long has the Squizzer feeder been up?

Edited by bruno22rf