Cartridges for Lightweight Side by Side.

I've been testing several cartridges in my AYA , which weighs just under 6 1/2 lb for the game season and have yet to find one that doesnt beat me up.

At present I can't find any Grand Prix 30g or Impax locally.

Eley Zenith 30g are a bit fierce. Cheddite Royal Flush 30g really do smoke clays but again a bit of a kicker in the S x S.

All the 32g loads I have tried are a non starters.

Any recommendations would be really welcome.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say you want a 67mm cartridge.

Hull Imperial Game - always come highly recommended

Gamebore Super Game

Express Special Game, Super Game or Supreme Game

Don't know where you are based but maybe a call to just cartridges as they will stock all these and whilst it will cost you £15 delivery it will be virtually next day and you can order various types to try.

Their own brand might be worth a try.

Guest cookoff013

I've been testing several cartridges in my AYA , which weighs just under 6 1/2 lb for the game season and have yet to find one that doesnt beat me up.

At present I can't find any Grand Prix 30g or Impax locally.

Eley Zenith 30g are a bit fierce. Cheddite Royal Flush 30g really do smoke clays but again a bit of a kicker in the S x S.

All the 32g loads I have tried are a non starters.

Any recommendations would be really welcome.

use 32g subsonics, trust me 32g #4 rocks.

Thanks for your very speedy replies!

I'm near Ormskirk Lancs and I think I can get Express , Hull and Gameore locally.

Will try the aforementioned if they stock them.

Are any of the Pigeon cartridges suitable or are they all a bit punchy ?

Anything with Pigeon in it`s title tends to be punchy ,as the makers think they will generally be used in autos.

Any of the light game loads are what you need and stick to 24gram loads for clays .

HTH.

This is going to cost a Kings Randsom in shells!

Been practicing with 21 & 24g's , very little recoil.

Might just dig out some sort of pattern plate and kill 2 birds with one stone.

Presently I'm using an El Cheapo slip on pad which probably does nothing except give me the correct LOP. So I'm considering splashing out on a Limbsaver which should also help.

See here:

https://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/361897-cartridge-velocity-test-27082017/?hl=velocity

Pick something light-ish and slow.

N.b. Eley Grand Prix and Impax are a long way from being the smoothest, softest cartridges on the market. I like paper cases as much as the next guy, but they'll tend to feel "sharp". I assume that's because of the thicker cases / reduced volume available for combustion, but I've no evidence for that (unless anyone cares to provide some).

I use Hull Imperial Game in several s/s between just over 6 lbs to just over 7 lbs. My 'go to' gun these days is an AyA No 1, 28" barrels choked fairly open (about Imp & 1/4), 2 3/4" chambered. Excellent with Imperial Game 26g for game and Comp X 21g for clays. I have used up to 32g for occasional shots at walked up game, but although quite tolerable for a few shots, I wouldn't want to do a full day with those.

Compared to an o/u, all s/s are bit 'livelier' overall, both in recoil and handling/pointability. This does take a bit of getting used to if you are used to an o/u. Unless you shoot very high 'Devon' style birds, s/s with 26 or 28g is quite adequate.

Edited by JohnfromUK