Cartridges for Lightweight Side by Side.

I have found in my guns the express carts give very good patterns and shoot softly too. Never been a fan of Eley as I find their powders to be quite sharp too giving a slap rather than a shove.

Funny thing is I can shoot 32g Dark Storms no problem and don’t find them anymore uncomfortable than my other game carts. The Hull Imperials I went off in my SxS as they didn’t do the business for me and I had too many runners. Same drive and different carts different results all folded dead.

Now you need to see how well they pattern and kill for you.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Test carried out on High Tower this morning.

8 shots each all felt wad , totally unscientific, just my perception of the felt recoil.

The ones tested that were uncomfortable in MY gun were,

Eley Pigeon Select 30g,

Gamebore Black Gold 30g

and 30g Dark Storm.

The following are listed low recoil first.

Imperial Game 28g,

Fiocci FL28g,

Lyalvale Express Pigeon Power 29g

and Eley Impax 28g.

These 4 , I could use all day although surprisingly the Impax were alot sharper than the other 3.

I was pleasantly surprised how soft the Pigeon Express were and if I get a chance will pattern them against the Hull Imperial.

While I was there I stuffed all the 'hotter' loads through my 1100 Auto and it was like using an air rifle !!!

Are the Express 65mm. chamber length ?

I think the Pigeon Power are 2 3/4". No paper shells used.

What I should have mentioned is this is not about my shoulder being beaten to a pulp but about first barrel sharp recoil being so disruptive that it is severley baulking a second shot.

When the test was over I used Eley 24g Select in the open barrel and the hot loads in the choke.

I was extremely impressed with the Black Gold and Cheddite Royal Flush for literally smoking the clays.

Just to make sure about my optimism towards the Pigeon 29g I finished the box and they were spot on and can't wait to test them on Pigeons / Game.

Edited by Robertt

Thanks for your very speedy replies!

I'm near Ormskirk Lancs and I think I can get Express , Hull and Gameore locally.

Will try the aforementioned if they stock them.

Are any of the Pigeon cartridges suitable or are they all a bit punchy ?

I too am from near Ormskirk...!! Youve got Rainford Field Sports near and also Rainhill Cartridge Supplies (best bet) - we got some Gamebore super game 65mm there last season.

Atb,

Dave

There are a few others I wish to try out but for now I have a couple of very usable cartridges to try out on game.

It would be so much easier if the manufacturers had a recoil rating printed on the boxes.

I have used an online recoil calculator which if used in conjuction with johnnytheboy's published cartridge velocitys , puts cartridges in the correct order of low/high recoil.

If used with the manufacturers figures everything a**se about face , casting doubt on the manufacturers claimed F.P.S.

I would like to thank everybody for their amazing help and advice. A very , very impressive response.

Edited by Robertt

There are a few others I wish to try out but for now I have a couple of very usable cartridges to try out on game.

It would be so much easier if the manufacturers to have a recoil rating printed on the boxes.

I have used an online recoil calculator which if used in conjuction with johnnytheboy's published cartridge velocitys , puts cartridges in the correct order of low/high recoil.

If used with the manufacturers figures everything a**se about face , casting doubt on the manufacturers claimed F.P.S.

I would like to thank everybody for there amazing help and advice. A very , very impressive response.

Well fancy that, the cartridge manufacturers telling porkies! :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

First outing Driven this year which turned into a red letter day.

29g Express Power Pigeon 6's....devastating on pheasant , duck , partridge and a couple of snipe.

So smooth with no disturbance to balk the second shot in a 6-1/4lb S x S.

Extremely impressed and can't see using anything else in this gun.

Edited by Robertt

First outing Driven this year which turned into a red letter day.

29g Express Power Pigeon 6's....devastating on pheasant , duck , partridge and a couple of snipe.

So smooth with no disturbance to balk the second shot in a 6-1/4lb S x S.

Extremely impressed and can't see using anything else in this gun.

Shall have to try those !!!

Yes , over the Border !

Only tested on clays so I didnt really did not know what to expect.

Was really pleasantly surprised.

Am really unsure about Cartridge makers velocity claims but IF 30g Express Supreme Game are 50 fps slower , then using the online recoil calculator, they should kick slightly less and also give the option of larger shots sizes if needed.

Edited by Robertt

• 1 month later...

Bought a couple of boxes of Express Power Pigeon and Eley Impax recently....neither cartridges I would choose to use in a lwt s/s TBH but was most unimpressed by Eley`s new Impax load ! Considering it`s a premium priced load marketed for s/s users ,its a very harsh,unpleasant load .

Hull Imperial,Fiocchi PL28,RC Professional 28 are all way better packages for my money.

HTH.

If anyone finds an Express shell that is smooth to shoot my advice would be to go back to the shop and buy a few thousand of the same batch.

From personal experience and that of friends I'm convinced Lyalvale have a tendency to tinker with the components causing inconsistencies.

Three of us separately bought Power Blues when they came out. Smooth as silk. The next two batches (in a heavier ribbed case) were brutal. The case cudnt cause that but it points to things being changed. Its been highlighted on another forum all ready and possibly this one.

Out of that list I'd go Italian. RC Pro Game in 28/30gm. Uk 5.5.

WR.