No need for Packham/Merged threads

ElvisThePelvis

Packham is a very intelligent and knowledgeable man who has an encyclopaedia like knowledge of his subject. I for one do not dislike him for being who he is.

The reason why so many shooting people dislike him is that he opposes killing for sport. He is not the only one but he is one who has a major platform in the BBC to espouse his views. Like those put forward to save fox hunting from being banned the shooting community has no real spokesperson and certainly no 'voice' like those who have access to the BBC.

It would not surprise me if the programme was produced, in part, with an eye on providing public sympathy/empathy for him in light of recent comments from the shooting organisations about his access to such a platform to air his views.

Packham is a very intelligent and knowledgeable man who has an encyclopaedia like knowledge of his subject. I for one do not dislike him for being who he is.

The reason why so many shooting people dislike him is that he opposes killing for sport. He is not the only one but he is one who has a major platform in the BBC to espouse his views. Like those put forward to save fox hunting from being banned the shooting community has no real spokesperson and certainly no 'voice' like those who have access to the BBC.

People are free to like or dislike shooting.

My issue is that he lies about the shooting community. He has used Twitter to make statements that are patently untrue. When challenged, he quietly backs down, but the damage to shooting has already happened.

Whether he has a mental illness or is/also just a tool is irrelevant to me - it's not a defence to lying.

My issue is that he lies about the shooting community. He has used Twitter to make statements that are patently untrue. When challenged, he quietly backs down, but the damage to shooting has already happened.

Whether he has a mental illness or is/also just a tool is irrelevant to me - it's not a defence to lying.

This. As Ive said before; I dont mind anyone opposing anything I do, so long as they do it openly and with honesty.

Yes I concede that if he tells deliberate lies that is no way to put forward a cogent argument.

The reason I dislike him is because he is prepared to use any and all means, including his publicly funded "celebrity" as a soapbox to then deliberately mislead a largely ignorant public into joining an anti fieldsports crusade...his illness may explain, but is no excuse for his dishonest, extremist conduct.

The reason I dislike him is because he is prepared to use any and all means, including his publicly funded "celebrity" as a soapbox to then deliberately mislead a largely ignorant public into joining an anti fieldsports crusade...his illness may explain, but is no excuse for his dishonest, extremist conduct.

Ditto post 22.

Interesting to note that, as a child, he ate live tadpoles to see what they tasted like, but he can't tolerate other people killing for food!

Right I don't like the guy but that's statement is incorrect he has accepted that deer stalking is requirement to maintain the deer populations balance. It's game shooting he is against and uses unethically (liars) to try to stop.