Insurance

mattyg1086

I cancelled ours this year, think we broke even with amount paid over the years and money paid out by insurance for operations. However, this year, morethan wanted to charge me £86 per month to insure my 13yr old boxer X. Im not going to let her go through any more major ops, so cant justify £1k a year for insurance. I dont pay that for house, contents, and car combined!!

Ye sorry guys obviously I meant springer

My problem is I had a staffy that I very much benefitted from a policy and my other staffy is now 8 or 9 (rescue) and we have paid for a policy since we have had him and I've never used it. I'm in two minds wetter to cancel both policies that we currently have and just put the money away and if anything major happens get a credit card or a loan for the cost. It's all a gambe and it's difficult to know what's best

Similar situation, last year my Border terrier bitch had mammary cancer. The glands were stripped and she recovered from the operation. The cost of the operation was met by the insurance. This year the insurance company want just short of £1,000. I've cancelled the policy. My reasoning being that if she requires any procedure exceeding £1,000 it would be major surgery, and I'm not prepared to put a twelve year old dog through it.

My own personal experience in the past has been that when a dog reaches 8 years old there is often a large increase in the premium. Another reason is the expectations of pet owners and cost of the procedures. The Supervet on the TV appears to be able to create bionic pooches out of the most horrendously deformed poorly bred animals. Pet insurance will often have to meet some of these massive costs which in the past would have been dealt with relatively cheaply by euthanasia.

A word of warning if you decide to shop around. There a many companies offering pet insurance as brokers, but only three or four insurance companies actually providing the insurance. So, as I found, my hours of trawling the Internet for a better deal gave me the same result.

We have our lab with Tesco, good policy for £30 a month on the top one.

Pup is with Kennel Club.. more expensive but they have 4 months half price so it worked out a better price for the first year. KC covers working dogs at work too.

Use to use Petplan, but they have gone downhill now. My parents use Asda insurance, have claimed and were good.

If you can afford re-occurring vet fees then I agree with just putting aside each month. I dont and pay insurance each month, I have never had a problem claiming for the collie who is 14 and on all sorts, we pay every visit to the vet and then claim every 6 months. The lab who is 4 recently had an infection in both front feet for an unknown reason, there were no questions asked, paid the £600 straight away. Both are insured with More Than for a reasonable monthly amount, both on lifetime policies. And they cover working dogs.