New tv help

ollie

Need some help everyone. I'm currently building a house, hoping to get moved in for December.

I'm after a 49" smart tv for the living room but I'm a little clueless as to best makes etc. Can you suggest options & where best to purchase. Also, is 4K worth it?

I don't have one but three of my brothers swear by 4k. If things that look slightly out of focus hurt your eyes you will be impressed but as John said its wasted on a small screen. In fact its apparently made for huge screens that would otherwise show a pixilated image. Colours are seriosly brilliant.

One thing I notice about the led/lcd screen is that dark scene's of old films are not as easy to see what's going on as well as the old CRT tube screens - which had better low light grey's performance. Think of Dirty Harry or Paul Kersey doing their stuff in those dark parks.... I had them in memory from the CRT days lol.

Now you know my type of films lol, watching Hang em High later. :)

Ìf you want 4k, to get the best from it you need a screen size of over 60 inch .if you have a fast internet, then Netflix do some 4k stuff. Picture wise any thing is upscaled so the picture quality is good on digital tv etc.

Thanks for the sound advice. I don't know if my internet would be quick enough for streaming 4k, so it may be wasted.

I don't have one but three of my brothers swear by 4k. If things that look slightly out of focus hurt your eyes you will be impressed but as John said its wasted on a small screen. In fact its apparently made for huge screens that would otherwise show a pixilated image. Colours are seriosly brilliant.

One thing I notice about the led/lcd screen is that dark scene's of old films are not as easy to see what's going on as well as the old CRT tube screens - which had better low light grey's performance. Think of Dirty Harry or Paul Kersey doing their stuff in those dark parks.... I had them in memory from the CRT days lol.

Now you know my type of films lol, watching Hang em High later. :)

The missus doesn't want anything bigger than 50 inch TV, so maybe not a huge tv.

Hisense are a brand you might want to check out.

I hadn't heard of this make before, I will check them out.

Go to a place that have lots on display and pick one you personally like the picture and image colour of.

The new oled screens look very good but expensive.

What type of house are you building Ollie ?

When I go into a shop with loads of tvs I find it difficult to understand all the features etc.

We bought a derelict semi with a huge garden & refurbished and extended. We are going for a modern look.

I had my last one from John Lewis, great service and apparently their customer service if any issues is amazing.

Pretty sure they'll also price match if you find it cheaper elsewhere.

Thanks for the advice.

Don't buy LG, we have had constant problems with our new LG TV and know friends who had the same!

Sony is always worth it IMO. My dad has a 4K Sony and the picture is outstanding.

I'll stay clear of LG then, cheers.

Need some help everyone. I'm currently building a house, hoping to get moved in for December.

I'm after a 49" smart tv for the living room but I'm a little clueless as to best makes etc. Can you suggest options & where best to purchase. Also, is 4K worth it?

Samsung and buy from Richer Sounds. Good people to deal with. Had a slight sound problem with mine, they changed the set immediately.

If you're not in a hurry, some of Amazon's daily deals/Black Friday deals can be really good. I bought a 4k Sony 55" in Nov last year and it came in a good £100 cheaper than anywhere else. The difference between 4k and HD is really noticeable at that size and it's worth being aware that there are more 4k Blu Ray machines and discs coming to the market (not cheap yet, but then again DVD and Blu Ray weren't either when they came out).

we have always had Panasonic, our first 42 inch CRT set which weighed a ton lasted over 10 years and was still working when we changed to a 42 inch plasma which is also getting up for ten years old. can't comment on the quality of the newer sets, like all companies they probably buy the cheapest components to make a bigger profit.

Richer Sounds and Samsung are a great combo as others have said.

Buy as good as you can afford would be my advise - I'm quite into AV and would say the following.

Most 4K TVs look great when fed with a 4K signal but 4K is not common place at the moment.

Most 4K TVs look great / good when fed a 1080p HD signal which is more readily available.

But -

Most 4K TVs don't look great when a SD signal is fed to it.

TVs obviously have to upscale the signal in order to fill its screen and this is where good TVs stand out from the crowd.

To upscale a Standard Definition signal to fill a 4K screen the TV has to make up 90% of what you see !

Go to a decent shop and ask them to play various sources through the tv and see what you think.

Don't just be sold something playing a 4K demo disc like Currys always have running - 75% of TV is still SD.

Samsung for example are always good at scaling up and will offer different series of the same model so a 6000 model won't do quite the same job as 9500 model. This will also be reflected in the price of course.

Hope this helps.

ATB.

• 1 month later...