Training a cocker from start to finish.

lee-kinsman

Thank you to everyone for you very encouraging comments. It was suggested that I'm include all the videos on one thread for ease of reference so this is the new thread.

If the mods think it appropriate to pin this thread that would be really kind.

Thank you and I hope you enjoy the journey as much as I do.

Kind regards from me and Flash.

Video 1

Video 2

Edited by lee-kinsman

That is a brilliant method to train steadiness. I wish I had watched that three years ago because I struggled to steady my cocker (steady as a rock now, for the record) any new handlers will find that VERY useful indeed.

Well done lee, great vid. I like the fact that your vids are unedited, it brings a real life feeling to it . Keep it real mate its so much better that way 👍

Ps

You sound close to the 65 there 😁

That is a brilliant method to train steadiness. I wish I had watched that three years ago because I struggled to steady my cocker (steady as a rock now, for the record) any new handlers will find that VERY useful indeed.

Well done lee, great vid. I like the fact that your vids are unedited, it brings a real life feeling to it . Keep it real mate its so much better that way 👍

Ps

You sound close to the 65 there 😁

Thank you Ian, yes I figured the best way is to keep it real. Thank you 😊

Little Flash had me over with running in a couple of times but hes a gentle biddable pup so nothing more than the sound of my discontentment is enough to make him think. He came to at the end. Later Ill train the retrieve before quartering but wanted to burn some energy out of him first otherwise I dont think hed have taken the steadiness as well as he did.

It was filmed at a place called Crown Point next to a car park for the Singing Ringing Tree. A nice ungrazed area with lots of white grass and rushes to start a pup off. Lots of boy racers etc use the bendy roads to see how close they can get to crashing.

Edited by lee-kinsman

Another great video Lee. Do You use that method for steadying all your dogs? I think I would have struggled to use that method with my cocker as he would wrestle passed me, so I wondered if you have an alternative method for training steadiness.

Once again though, great video. I always look forward to the next.

Thank you Labstaff.

The pup in video has quite a submissive nature, he quickly understands with little correction what is required so the method that I use in the video works with him.

A pup that is harder headed I might put the lead on or stand between the pup and the retrieve or hold the pup until it settles then sit it then send it.

I try to be flexible and find the kindest way of training the pup so as to avoid displeasure for us both.

Hope that makes sense.

Lee

• 3 weeks later...