Gin

washerboy

Yep large G&T Friday and Saturday evening 8.30pm. Personal favourite is Brecon Gin, but believe it or not Aldi London Dry Gin is really nice. I was given some fever tree tonic water to try...I will be buying more this afternoon for tonight's tipple!

Cheers

Aled

If you fancy a nice Whisky for not a lot give Aldi's Glen Marnoch Islay a go - veeeeeery similar to Laphroaig but half the price.

Not a Gin drinker, got bad memories of over indulgence and cant even stand the smell of the stuff now. As above though for the Whisky drinkers and Lidl also do a really nice one for not a lot of money

Im off the beer so have rediscovered wonderful world of gin.

Does anybody else enjoy a glass or two, ok its not as manly as real ale or a strong lager but its bloody lovely

We seem to have a underlying smell of man at the minute.

Gin is revered, absolutely gorgeous, the smells, taste are all different.

If you look about, some of them will blow your mind, the flavours are amazing.

My mate who lucky enough owns my local pub and I enjoy a gin. He now has around 45 gins behind the bar. From your standard Gordon's to £5 a shot gin, he has a recipe for some of the stranger recommended mixes which can include ice cubes with chopped basil in them, obviously cucumber and grapefruit. He even stocks a tonic called 1724, this is made 1724 metres above sea level on the inca trail where quinine was first discovered, or some such rubbish but at about £4 a bottle you can pay getting on for a tenner for a expensive gin and 1724 tonic. Mind you I did have a Monkey 47 gin with a 1724 tonic and it was completely amazing, like drinking a cloud with kick.

Strange how taste changes, I got absolutely hammered on gin 45 years ago and as a previous poster wrote, I couldn't even stand the smell of it until about ten years ago! Now I do like an occasional tipple....as for Laphroig 20 years ago that used to be my favourite Whisky, but it now makes me gag! Far too smoky and tastes like road tar! Lol!... prefer a more subtle Islay malt now........half and half Highland Park..........more to my taste now! And as for the posting about Welsh 46% Whisky......if you refer to Penderyn? Awful! Only just drinkable with copious quantities of water added! Lol!

I've been off the beer and wine too.

I've tried loads of different gins but my go-to is Gordon's with Schweppes (real, not slimline) tonic.

I chill the tonic and don't drink it with ice (or lemon as a matter of fact). Nice, clean flavour.

I've tried as I say many gins, some twice the price (and more) of Gordon's but for me I can't justify the extra cost (i.e. I don't think they are twice as good).

Then a scotch or two after dinner if required (Famous Grouse).

I will tell anyone who will listen that the finest gin in these isles is Admiral Collingwood by Silent Pool Distillery.

LS

I buy it as well. The rose gin's also good

They have a pitch as the surrounding farmers' markets or buy direct from the distillery. Cheaper than Waitrose or Duty Free at the airport.

Edited by Flashman

Drink plenty of the stuff during the warmer months,with various tonics and slices. Have a look at gun recipe books for what goes with what. The right tonic and garnish can make all the difference.

In autumn winter I lean more towards the peaty malts and cognacs and a nice port. Only enjoy the odd pint of decent ale now and again far too filling.