Rabbit Numbers

wymberley

Out the other night with me mates new thermal to give it a test, very thin on the ground around here but that can be the case. Seems about every 4-5 years we get some good numbers then mixy hammers them, this is not surprising as it can travel through large populations like any virus. Of my 30 plus years of ferreting every year i would come across rabbits which had signs showing they had had the virus but had developed some immunity to it and managed to live.

Still see the Parson around every year and they don't appear to be affected as badly as the usual Bunter population.

I can still recall the sad memory of when i briefly lived in Tidworth on Salisbury plain, it was the year of 86. I used to walk out of me uncles house and be on the plain in about 5 minutes and remember walking across a field with his mongrel and must of killed well into the teens in the time we were out. I have never since witnessed such a sad sight as this.

Boy i remember there were some big numbers down there in the eighties.

atb

7diaw

Edited by 7daysinaweek

• 2 weeks later...

hello, i heard there is a new virus other than mixy that is reducing large numbers in the rabbit population in some parts of UK, yet i have not seen any dead rabbits about like you get with mixy, anyone know if correct ??

hello, beginning to see a few more about this time so maybe this virus has passed, oh and seems to be more foxes to.

This is another reason why we are seeing more in suburbia targeting the grey squirrels.

The rabbits have been hammered over the last couple of years by that VHD ,RHD and other names for the same thing. Seems the Mexicans are the only people to have got rid of it,( wonder how they managed it and we haven't).

This is another reason why we are seeing more in suburbia targeting the grey squirrels.

The rabbits have been hammered over the last couple of years by that VHD ,RHD and other names for the same thing. Seems the Mexicans are the only people to have got rid of it,( wonder how they managed it and we haven't).

What have the Mexicans got rid of please and what reference do you have for this?

Cheers

• 1 month later...

10yr ago, I was out once a month and could get anywhere between 20 and 40 each time... but now, if I get 4 in a night I'm doing well! Myxi has hit, and hit again, in the past 6 or so years.

Used to go ferreting, too, and have been looking and thinking about getting ferrets again. But I'm really unsure I could get the work for them.

On 13/10/2017 at 12:59, wymberley said:

Just been chatting to a mate who had been chatting to another who in turn had been talking to a farmer on the other side of the River Exe. The consensus is that there's a serious decline in rabbit numbers - certainly in this area of Devon.

Is anyone else around here noticing it? VHD possibly?

Same mate has just been into the local fishing tackle shop (sadly about to close as the owner is retiring) and while chatting to another customer was told of another area that regularly produced bags of 50-60-70 a night is now completely barren even though the one regular shooter packed it in some time back. Other bit of info will have to go on the country sports sub-forum.