Cheeky beggar

Longstrider

I was out on one of my permissions last weekend hoping to pick up a fallow pricket I'd been out unsuccessfully for the week before. This particular animal had a wonky head and was surplus to requirements in my mind, so it had to be one of those that 'fell over' this Autumn.

Stalking along a ditch where a small brook usually runs (where has all the rain been this year ? ) I could see the herd grazing happily about 200 yds away through the trees. I carefully worked my way along the ditch-line keeping the deer in sight whenever I could and managed to get myself about 80yds from them. The herd started to become slightly unsettled and exposed the very individual I was hoping to get a shot on. Double check ... no others behind the animal ... good safe backstop .. All in order ...

Then something to my left caught my eye. Sitting there on the bank of the dry brook sunbathing and watching my stalk with keen interest was none other than Charlie himself. Bold as brass not 40 yds from me in full view (as I was to him). The cheeky beggar just sat there watching me as if he knew full well I had to turn him down in favour of the pricket, which then fell over on the spot to my shot. I racked the bolt and turned to my left just in time to see Charlie wander calmly into some cover not 35yds from me as if the sound of a .270 Win going off was nothing to worry about.

I've worked this permission with calls and lamp for 2 years to get the fox numbers down and they're getting a bit spooky, but this fella just didn't seem to give a damn.

He'd best be a bit sharper next weekend though, I'm off the pick up my new .204 Ruger tomorrow ;)

I was out on one of my permissions last weekend hoping to pick up a fallow pricket I'd been out unsuccessfully for the week before. This particular animal had a wonky head and was surplus to requirements in my mind, so it had to be one of those that 'fell over' this Autumn.

Stalking along a ditch where a small brook usually runs (where has all the rain been this year ? ) I could see the herd grazing happily about 200 yds away through the trees. I carefully worked my way along the ditch-line keeping the deer in sight whenever I could and managed to get myself about 80yds from them. The herd started to become slightly unsettled and exposed the very individual I was hoping to get a shot on. Double check ... no others behind the animal ... good safe backstop .. All in order ...

Then something to my left caught my eye. Sitting there on the bank of the dry brook sunbathing and watching my stalk with keen interest was none other than Charlie himself. Bold as brass not 40 yds from me in full view (as I was to him). The cheeky beggar just sat there watching me as if he knew full well I had to turn him down in favour of the pricket, which then fell over on the spot to my shot. I racked the bolt and turned to my left just in time to see Charlie wander calmly into some cover not 35yds from me as if the sound of a .270 Win going off was nothing to worry about.

I've worked this permission with calls and lamp for 2 years to get the fox numbers down and they're getting a bit spooky, but this fella just didn't seem to give a damn.

He'd best be a bit sharper next weekend though, I'm off the pick up my new .204 Ruger tomorrow ;)

:lol::lol::lol::lol: classic. At least you got the pricket mate, well done. Looks like he is a fine contender to christen the new rifle.