coarse fishing

roadkill

Whip fishing will certainly get you catching fish, but doesn't start give many transferable skills to different types of fishing. rod and line gives them casting, retrieving and playing fish that you need for float fishing, feeder fishing, lure fishing, camp-it-up carping etc...

A 10ft-12 match rod and a small fixed spool reel with front drag gives a good starting point. They can be used for float fishing and feeder fishing and will get the fish coming in well enough!

Either that or, as me matt did, get them into lure fishing! it's what the bulk of my fishing is now.

8ft rod, a spinning reel a net, and some lures what more do you need? (more lures, unhooking mat, braid, more lures, another rod, more lures, kayak, a few lures...)

Edited by chrisjpainter

Whip fishing will certainly get you catching fish, but doesn't start give many transferable skills to different types of fishing. rod and line gives them casting, retrieving and playing fish that you need for float fishing, feeder fishing, lure fishing, camp-it-up carping etc...

A 10ft-12 match rod and a small fixed spool reel with front drag gives a good starting point. They can be used for float fishing and feeder fishing and will get the fish coming in well enough!

Either that or, as me matt did, get them into lure fishing! it's what the bulk of my fishing is now.

8ft rod, a spinning reel a net, and some lures what more do you need? (more lures, unhooking mat, braid, more lures, another rod, more lures, kayak a few lures...)

This... make sure they get a part time job and earn some pocket money. Atleast they won't have enough for drugs :lol: :lol:

8ft rod, a spinning reel a net, and some lures what more do you need? (more lures, unhooking mat, braid, more lures, another rod, more lures, kayak, a few lures...)

Lures.....mmmmmmmmm

There must be copious amounts of lures, never dwelling on the cost of said lures should they not return after winding in 😂

You don't have to spend d a lot of money.The important bit is kids under 12 don't need Rod licence,but have to be with an adult that does have one,even on private water.Read up on balanced tackle as any good fishery will not be happy if its not.

Any good tackle shop will get you started with a balanced set up.Also require discorger,landing mat and net (kitemarked).Umberella is essential (sun/rain/wind) or a day bivvy if funds allow.Suncream a must for the kids even on what might seem a cloudy day can see you ending up looking like a crab stick.

It's great for the kids both mine have been fishing since they were about 4.The youngest is now 12 and fishes every weekend.

post-30855-0-03388600-1508093853_thumb.jpg

Edited by Davyo

Can aquire a whip for under a tenner from a lot of places, you can buy pre tied rigs from most tackle shops and for some low price gear try onepoundfishingtackle. C o m pretty much everything is £1. The junior licence U16s are now free just input juniors details into the webpage on gov.com? I think. And adult licence is now £30 for a year from the day a purchase covering you for two rods. All the best.

Children under 12 never used to have a licence holder to accompany them and I didn't think this had changed.

Yes you are correct,I have always had one, so assumed that (child + water) needs an adult supervision and wrongly assumed that even if adult wasn't fishing a licence or day licence was required.He will need one shortly once he gets hooked watching the kids.Dont know how many times I've got the gun in the car only to throw it back in the cabinet and grabbed a rod instead.

Lures.....mmmmmmmmm

There must be copious amounts of lures, never dwelling on the cost of said lures should they not return after winding in

I have hit the 130 mark now! that includes all the tiny micro softs for LRF and perch through to the bigger stuff for pike. fake grubs, spinners, imitation fish, ducklings - I'm game for anything that catches!

In my (slight) defence, I will only buy new lures once 75% of my collection are either catchers or I have lost fish on. So that justifies it, right? right?