Warm afternoon on wheat.

matone

Had a good couple of hours on a week old wheat drilling this aft.I`d intended to shoot yesterday but work intervened and put paid to that idea!

Much more wind today and temp in the high teens.Set up by 12.30 with only 4 full body decoys as my mate had the dead birds in his freezer but couldn`t make it today.Birds came in readily to them ,so soon had 10 set up on cradles.Ran out of ammo after an hour,so had to nip back to farmhouse for a couple of boxes.Finished about 3pm with 49 and a carrion,a result which is the best I`ve had this harvest time.Quite a lot of birds of the year (60-70 %) of which I could have shot quite a lot more ,but stuck to taking on the sportier birds that the windier conditions provided !

A good Friday 13th !

This was 2nd wheat,7 days from sowing on heavy land,plenty of seed about due to drilling conditions.

A lot more young birds about in the last couple of weeks too.I sat and watched birds come in for 15-20 mins after I finished shooting,it was interesting how the unaware youngsters pulled adult birds in !

This was 2nd wheat,7 days from sowing on heavy land,plenty of seed about due to drilling conditions.

A lot more young birds about in the last couple of weeks too.I sat and watched birds come in for 15-20 mins after I finished shooting,it was interesting how the unaware youngsters pulled adult birds in !

Yes i've noticed that too!

Edited by dead eye alan