young birds

Farcombehall

I don't belong to any shoot but shoot pigeons on farms that have and on every farm I've seen the bird look to young to shoot, every one is saying they wont fly yet so why don't the shoots leave it a bit longer before they start shooting just because the season has started you don't have to suddenly begin it would be a much better day out if the birds were more mature and could fly better, maybe I am wrong but it seems common-sense. Could the birds be hatched a month earlier and so be older or not ?

Probably financial pressures, I know what your saying but a lot of shoots will be under pressure to get as many days in as possible, the shoot I go beating on started today which is earlier than they would normally start but they have quite a few days booked in for this month already. The head keeper will keep on top of them and ask them to be selective.

Shot yesterday up in sunny Norfolk, mainly partridge which flew well and we were allowed to shoot good pheasants. I honestly didn't see a weak bird but it was first time through and the new stock showed by not getting up. The twelve pheasants out of a total of 168 we did shoot were old last years birds and flew well, all guns in the team took great care to pick them out. Some late releases...early August need a couple more weeks to feather up and get strong.

It will only be wild birds that are being seen as young, some late 2nd broods about, but released birds should be adult but possibly not the strongest flyers, as always pick the most sporting birds.

This.

Reputable shoots, who start in early October, will have had their poults in early enough to ensure that come October they will present sporting birds.

Even with strong, crafty January birds, guns should only ever take the testing ones.