Wild Wolds Winds

Mightymariner

Recently JDog and I had an afternoon in the Wolds. Conditions were perfect.

I haven't been out for a while and I had a free afternoon so he kindly scouted somewhere for us as I wouldn't have time to recce.

We had a nice catch up and drive around some Wolds locations before finding a recently turned bean stubble which looked likely. The winds were good and strong, and the locations we set up at had it blowing from our backs.

Immediately JDog said the birds wouldn't decoy but they would flight across our location. He was spot on.

There were a lot of birds, flying into the wind, up and down, great height, low height, left, right, twisting and jinking - no defined course at all.

What followed was some spectacular shots from JDog and some fairly miserable shooting from me.

There was no shortage of birds, and the certainly didn't want to decoy but as they came from one wood across and over us, they were all in range, some on the edge.

I had one of those days where my shooting got progressively worse. In the end I stopped shooting and tried to persuade JDog to take my permission as there were more birds crossing it.

I am not sure what the final bag was but I can state my contribution was no more than six birds.

On the plus side it was great to be outside, some fantastic scenery, sporting birds and good company.

Cheers!

Recently JDog and I had an afternoon in the Wolds. Conditions were perfect.

I haven't been out for a while and I had a free afternoon so he kindly scouted somewhere for us as I wouldn't have time to recce.

We had a nice catch up and drive around some Wolds locations before finding a recently turned bean stubble which looked likely. The winds were good and strong, and the locations we set up at had it blowing from our backs.

Immediately JDog said the birds wouldn't decoy but they would flight across our location. He was spot on.

There were a lot of birds, flying into the wind, up and down, great height, low height, left, right, twisting and jinking - no defined course at all.

What followed was some spectacular shots from JDog and some fairly miserable shooting from me.

There was no shortage of birds, and the certainly didn't want to decoy but as they came from one wood across and over us, they were all in range, some on the edge.

I had one of those days where my shooting got progressively worse. In the end I stopped shooting and tried to persuade JDog to take my permission as there were more birds crossing it.

I am not sure what the final bag was but I can state my contribution was no more than six birds.

On the plus side it was great to be outside, some fantastic scenery, sporting birds and good company.

Cheers!

Does the bag matter? You had a good day in good company, a few shots are a bonus. We all have off days, and the birds must have been tricky. :friends: :friends: