Centre fire break in

Whitester

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will often hear that running a barrel in isn't necessary. But in my experience a simple run-in can help with the closing of the internal pores making the rifle easier to clean and less quickly to foul.

And in the end it isn't going to hurt anything ...............unless you are like a certain muppet who used to frequent GT, and rigorously used to scrub out his barrel every time he used it with JB bore paste.

Edited by Graham M

Fire 5 rds cleaning after each shot, making sure to clean ALL **** out.

Then fire another 5 rds and clean, again really clean the barrel out

Then fire 10 rds and clean.

After this I tend to clean after every 50rds or so but only use a nylon brush and something like Hoppes.

Bad cleaning is worse then not cleaning at all

I shoot and clean for 5 rounds. Then shoot and clean every other round for another 5 . Then I just use it :)

Doesn't mean I'm right but I was setting the scope up anyway so I had time.

Let it cool between shots .

I've been told otherwise but I'm a joiner not an engineer ;)

To add my cleaning was just with acetone ( nail polish remover) on a rod/patch.

I can shot 1/2" groups at 112 yards with it now too.

Edited by team tractor

You will often hear that running a barrel in isn't necessary. But in my experience a simple run-in can help with the closing of the internal pores making the rifle easier to clean and less quickly to foul.

And in the end it isn't going to hurt anything ...............unless you are like a certain muppet who used to frequent GT, and rigorously used to scrub out his barrel every time he used it with JB bore paste.

∆∆∆∆∆∆ this ∆∆∆∆∆∆

This has come round many a time and the suggestions/views seem to be the same.

There are many ways of running/breaking in a barrel, loads to be found on the web.

Essentially just shoot and clean a few times, but read up and make your choices.

Some say they have never bothered, I do, even on rimfires.

The way I look at it simple, it will only take a bit of time and effort and some ammo, but it can do no harm and only potentially good. ALL my guns work!

Not running in a barrel only has possible negatives.

Edited by Dekers

Life's too short.

Getting banging and give it a pull through at the end of each outing.

Stolen from a Yankee gun nut site:

The primary controversy around the idea of “barrel break-in” centers on the assertion that a gun owner is able to do for a rifle barrel what its manufacturer could not. It creates the notion that any barrel leaving a gunsmith or weapons factory is not quite finished and requires either field use or a maintenance regimen in order to bring it up to the level of what other gun owners might consider a proven weapon.

One of the problems inherent in this controversy is the endemic confusion between simple cleaning of a rifle barrel and maintaining a rifle barrel. Manufacturers seem to recommend cleaning as part of the normal maintenance routine for various kinds of weapons. That stands to reason. A dirty weapon is, among other things, quite dangerous to its owner and everyone else nearby. The confusion stems from the idea that if breaking in a barrel is of no value, that cleaning it isn’t either, and that doesn’t seem to be an accepted view.

At the same time, many experienced gun owners insist that firing the first 100 rounds or so through a new barrel has some beneficial effect, even if firing those rounds is not followed by cleaning. While there are a few who believe this is simply a means by which manufacturers entice gun owners to “wear out their barrels faster” the objective difference between 100 rounds fired one way or the other is likely negligible.

Life's too short.

Getting banging and give it a pull through at the end of each outing.

Stolen from a Yankee gun nut site:

The primary controversy around the idea of barrel break-in centers on the assertion that a gun owner is able to do for a rifle barrel what its manufacturer could not. It creates the notion that any barrel leaving a gunsmith or weapons factory is not quite finished and requires either field use or a maintenance regimen in order to bring it up to the level of what other gun owners might consider a proven weapon.

One of the problems inherent in this controversy is the endemic confusion between simple cleaning of a rifle barrel and maintaining a rifle barrel. Manufacturers seem to recommend cleaning as part of the normal maintenance routine for various kinds of weapons. That stands to reason. A dirty weapon is, among other things, quite dangerous to its owner and everyone else nearby. The confusion stems from the idea that if breaking in a barrel is of no value, that cleaning it isnt either, and that doesnt seem to be an accepted view.

At the same time, many experienced gun owners insist that firing the first 100 rounds or so through a new barrel has some beneficial effect, even if firing those rounds is not followed by cleaning. While there are a few who believe this is simply a means by which manufacturers entice gun owners to wear out their barrels faster the objective difference between 100 rounds fired one way or the other is likely negligible.

I like the logic of this. Ive only ever owned two brand new rifles ( one of which I still have ) and just got in with using them. Both were/ are capable of tighter groups than my capabilities.

Do it if you want, but dont lose sleep if you dont.

It's all about confidence, you miss a target, paper or Deer, you will find something to blame (it will all be your fault but you won't think that at the time).

The 1st Deer you miss you could blame yourself for not shooting in the barrel because you didnt follow someone's tips on running in a new rifle.

Or you can run it it following the most in depth running in process, shoot one, de-copper, shoot another, de-copper and so on for 10 shots or whatever.

Then miss the Deer and find something else to blame.

It's a mind game. It's your mind, your rifle do wht you think best. I shoot all mine in, cus I want to.

It's all about confidence, you miss a target, paper or Deer, you will find something to blame (it will all be your fault but you won't think that at the time).

The 1st Deer you miss you could blame yourself for not shooting in the barrel because you didnt follow someone's tips on running in a new rifle.

Or you can run it it following the most in depth running in process, shoot one, de-copper, shoot another, de-copper and so on for 10 shots or whatever.

It's a mind game. It's your mind, your rifle do wht you think best. I shoot all mine in, cus I want to.

An excellent point.

The issue is now that if you dont run yours in will that be in the back of your mind...and cause you to miss :lol:

I dont run mine in but my kit isnt as posh as Dougys, and Im not a good shot so I know that I only have myself to blame, makes life a whole lot easier.

I accept 100% the involvement of the mind/confidence in shooting.

But that's a new one on me, not shooting in a barrel will "potentially" result in wider groups and shorter barrel life, I have never heard anyone blame a missed deer on not shooting in a barrel!

But as I and others have said, its down to the individual, that's probably why I buy NEW guns though, and shoot all mine in!

:good:

Edited by Dekers

The basic idea is to remove or smooth out the tooling marks created by the rifling process. Those marks or imperfections may create a build up of copper over time. The process of shooting in a barrel supposedly smooths out those imperfections or tooling marks.

Basically you are using the bullets to lapping the barrel.

There will be someone on shortly to correct this, or add a load of more technical bumff

The basic idea is to remove or smooth out the tooling marks created by the rifling process. Those marks or imperfections may create a build up of copper over time. The process of shooting in a barrel supposedly smooths out those imperfections or tooling marks.

Basically you are using the bullets to lapping the barrel.

There will be someone on shortly to correct this, or add a load of more technical bumff

I just cant get my head around this Im afraid.

Manufactured rifle barrels are shot quite a few times before they reach the shops; the above would seem to infer that rifles leave the manufacturers in less than a finished condition?

Do all those final group targets included with some new rifles not mean anything?

Do any manufacturers include instructions to breaking in their barrels to a purchaser of one of their rifles? I didnt get any such instructions with either of the two new rifles I bought.