Any tanneries that take deer skins

Benthejockey

It gets oiled today and left folded for another 24hours and then tomorrow gets put on the frame to hang. Im not sure if Im going to hang it on a frame or a board it depends what I can find in the shed later on. Im glad you lot think it looks good, Ive been looking at it and swinging between it looking great to worrying its not working properly.

https://flic.kr/p/ZUmJBb

The snakey lurcher puppy is now apparently a deer dog. Shes never once sat on that sofa which is for decorative purposes only apparently.

The skin is now mostly finished. I havent really softened the leather yet, if it dries back too stiff in a few weeks Ill dampen it and have a wrestle with it. At the minute though the supasoft oil I bought on top of the Ktan kit seems to have done what it said on the tin. It needs trimming up to be a smarter shape but Ill let Mrs BTJ do that shes the artistic one. But for the time being Ill just tuck the scraggy edges behind the cushions.

Next time I think Id salt the hide for less time. I think I found fleshing difficult because it had gone too dry and as a buck running up to the rut everything was a bit tighter like skinning a buck rabbit compared to a doe maybe. I think 3/4 days salting would dry it enough to peel well so Ill try that and try dry fleshing. Fleshing with the pressure washer did an ok job but is probably best reserved for fresh hides. It makes sense to me at least that a fresh skin would clean easier with a jet of water rather than trying to scrape it.

Holes in you skin gape once theyre dry. I put 2 nicks in ir when I was wrestling it off and theyre very obvious now its cured but they will trim off when its trimmed up.

I didnt do a good enough job washing it initially but the bits I didnt do well have brushed clean now.

I double dosed on tan because I was worried about my fleshing which slowed everything down, Im glad I did it he was very thick skinned but I think the initial tab was really plenty.

I need a better drying rack! Im going to try a board next time, stringing it up is awkward but a decent leather hole punch was invaluable!

It was a very interesting project and Ill definitely do it again. Mrs BTJ want some Fox brushes doing next!

Yeah Snowdonia sell two types of tan. The Ktan that you brush on which leaves a blue/grey leather and the white tan that you soak them in. I may try the white tan for a deer hide next time, you need two packs of white tan to do one deer I think but thats still the same price roughly as a Ktan kit.

I soaked a Fox skin in White Tan, after preparing it, and, after two days, it came out perfect. I've done many Fox/Rabbit/Squirrel furs & tails to good effect.

It seemed like a lot of effort when I started but actually apart from the fleshing it wasnt that much of an ordeal. Its a bit of a slowish process and with small bits of activity when youre putting the chemicals on. And it takes up a bit of space in the garage. I may invest in the white tan and see what sort of job that makes. If you get Ktan on the hair side it will stain the hair. It was very satisfying to do.

It seemed like a lot of effort when I started but actually apart from the fleshing it wasnt that much of an ordeal. Its a bit of a slowish process and with small bits of activity when youre putting the chemicals on. And it takes up a bit of space in the garage. I may invest in the white tan and see what sort of job that makes. If you get Ktan on the hair side it will stain the hair. It was very satisfying to do.

All I can say Ben, is that if you prepare the skin properly, and it seems you've done a good job so far, all you have to do is soak the fur for 48hrs or more. I did a Fox hide and it was excellent. :good: