Venison Salami

Jonty

Red stag venison salamis in the man fridge! Now the weather is cooling down I will be hanging them in a fly proof box in the garage to continue to dry. The venison tasted so good that these are very lightly seasoned as I didn't want to mask the flavour of the meat.

post-8521-0-55674100-1508046279_thumb.jpg

What's your recipe?

Hi Lothian gun, I don't have a recipe as such. The two fixed ingredients are salt and cure#2. I tend to use 2% - 3% salt to meat ratio and then cure#2 at the suggested usage weight on the pack, which is usually 2.5g per kg of meat, but it's worth checking what your packet states. These salami were approx 250g of fatty pork shoulder for every 750g venison. 25g of salt per kilo of meat and 2.5g of cure#2 per kilo of meat. After that it was a bit random, a few turns of black pepper, a splash of red, some paprika and garlic. I didn't use a lot because on cooking some loin very rare it was really really tasty so I didn't want to mask the flavour of the meat with loads of seasoning.

Key thing is get the salt and cure#2 right to keep the meat safe then you can play around with the other ingredients. Curing is often seen as a dark art and it isn't, as long as you get these two key ingredient right, you can add whatever you want.

• 1 month later...