Saturday

Continental Shooter

I was out on Saturday for the morning flight but not seen much to be honest.

The reports on the number of pnk coming down had set the expectation somewhat high and the geese calling on the bank when i walked through the marsh somewhat reaffirmed that.

I know suspect it was more my excitement playing with me.... :/ Anyway, set myself in the usual spot -righ on tope of the dune that split the beach from the marsh- and poored myself a coffee waiting for first light. With geese in mind i let the usual, obliging bunch of teal fly past unscatted

As soon as day broke, i could see a skein of 20 swimming in the estuary, they were coming in with the tide and i was hoping they would come right up to me... Unfortunately I decided not to call ... and they decided to switch bank 60 yds out so, i let them go.

Now, the funny thing is: while I was waiting i could hear some geese calling in the hair (maybe one or 2 at a time)...but this skein never responded; conversely, the skeins sitting on the banks went berserk at every call.... that make me thing they must have been fairly anti social or feral ones... :)

One of these loners that flew over the estuary happened to be a Canada who,looking somewhat lost decided, to follow the tree line that grows on the dune, passing me on the left at no more than 20 yds. Again, another display of poor shooting meant that of the 3 shots none commected and the goose, rather calmly, flew away.

The rest of the geese stayed out on the mud longer than i expected and then lifted off, split in 3 skeins of about 50-70 units each and went up river. Seen another couple of skeins far away on the horizon and then another 2 when i was driving back; these were much bigger skeins flying high inland (possbly still passing birds).

I start to get frustated: i can only go out on Saturdays (work commitments), it's hot as hell and ducks and geese seem to have diserted the place; also I still haven't found the measure with the new barrell I missed my 3rd goose in as many trips and the lack of action means i'm not getting betted. :unhappy:

I suspect from next week i'll take teh other gun with me: shorter barrell open choke... and see what happend :yes:

I once blanked 50 flights in a row, don't worry about it. You'll get there eventually!

I left empty handed 49 times!

In them 49 flights I fired 13 shots!

It will all come together and when it does no feeling will beat it, it will be a well earned bird. Stick with it, every flight is a learning curve and there's no better place to be!

I was out this morning with two others on our little marsh. Managed to call skien after skien over us and most wide or high but we had a few shots for nothing.

Just how it works sometimes, just glad we saw plenty and they turned perfectly but stayed high on there way to feed inland.

Thanks chaps,

My frustration is not with the lack of opportunities, more with the lack of accuracy :lol:

So far in 3 outings i shot more than i was expecting ...but every time i miss my opportunities. Now, i am not a sharpshooter, but pride myself of being quite accurate....this new barrel is doing my head in and that's where the frustration came from.

well, let hope this storm is shaking things up a bit :lol:

Thanks chaps,

My frustration is not with the lack of opportunities, more with the lack of accuracy :lol:

So far in 3 outings i shot more than i was expecting ...but every time i miss my opportunities. Now, i am not a sharpshooter, but pride myself of being quite accurate....this new barrel is doing my head in and that's where the frustration came from.

well, let hope this storm is shaking things up a bit :lol:

With you only having limited time to go fowling and using a new gun the nerves are getting the better of you when a shot is on , in your mind you are not confident in using your new gun / barrel now and with you only getting the odd chance with the small amount of time you spend on the marsh it is going to take a while for things to improve .

Why not use the gun / barrel you shoot well with and restrict the range you take these shots on , you pride yourself being quite accurate , so you should be able to put the shot in the right place at a sensible range .

I use the same gun all the year round and get through between 2 and 3000 shells a year on pigeons , then when the wildfowling season start I use 32grm steel on ducks and 36grm steel on the geese and I find this is more than good enough for my type of shooting , I have off days like everyone else but I never blame my gun or what I am putting through it , the only thing to blame is the person pulling the trigger .

Try it and see how you get on , then when you can hold your nerve when a goose is presenting itself you will start coming home with something in the bag :good:

totally agree :good:

The problem for me these days seems to be they come too close as the misses have all happened within 25 yds; being a skeet shooter i tend not to lead the target and with the longer barrel i think i am always behind.

The thing is i change barrel to accommodate 3" cartridges: I only shoot 20 bore and i i wanted to experiment with ITX.

I am sure if i go back to my 26" i'd be better...but i am stubborn and i do not contemplate failure... i gotta keep digging in i suppose.

cheers lads