Fac shotgun.

fse10

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got mine for pest control. Its invaluable for rabbit shooting.

Strange that, as my first S1 application was refused on the grounds I wanted mine for just such an act; namely rabbit control. It was only granted when I reapplied after my licensing authority advised me to quote avian species under the terms and conditions of the act as previously mentioned.

Mate has the same mossberg as me on fac 6 shot .

I think he got his for (flocking bird ) ie large quantity of birds to be controlled (vermin) at once .

The reality is .it's a waste of time in all the years we have been shooting together he has needed that 4 th or 5th extra shot once .

There are quiet a lot of extra restrictions on what and where u can shoot a fac shotty .he also wouldnt do it again if given the choice now .3 shots is 99% of the time enough for pigeon shooting .imo.

Totally agree even the third shot is often one too many and taken at out of range birds.

my sec1 shot gun was granted with no probs what so ever I simply quoted the wildlife and countryside act 1981 and to my surprise when the cert turned up also inc alq for any other vermin on any land on which I have authority to shoot I find mine invaluable for crows and sqizers and yet was told that there is no provistion for this type of gun to be used under the condition for practice at clay grounds even though a local ground had all ready said that I would be ok to use as long as only 2 carts loaded at any one time as of any semi auto, they would still not let me have that condition added

I got mine for pest control. Its invaluable for rabbit shooting.

We all have different land/problems and over the years I have taken a lot of rabbits with my 3 shot semi.

Only on 1 occasion have I ever had the opportunity to take 3 rabbits with 3 shots, which I did, never even a chance to take 4.

If it works for you then fine, but invaluable for rabbit shooting is not a phrase I would use!

ATB! :good:

I used to have a 5 shot before the legislation change.

I once had 4 squirrels with 5 shots bolting from a grain feeder and that is the only occasion it was advantageous.

I soon loaded with 3 as it was lighter and I never needed a fourth shot.

But if you need a big mag so be it.

A big downside is the increase in BS that goes with a Section 1.

Just one example, you can't loan it to a mate as you can with S.G.C.

Edited by Robertt

Shooting rabbits off the buggy 3 shots can become an inconvenience. With large qtys pf bunnies and big acres the extra capacity of fac is very handy.

Have you thought about rimfire? Even from that one liner it sounds a sensible option to me.

Probably cheaper, quieter and more effective!

:good:

Have you thought about rimfire? Even from that one liner it sounds a sensible option to me.

Probably cheaper, quieter and more effective!

:good:

I have rimfire as well and its appropriate much of the time and for most of the year.

One of the terms of our syndicate lease is the vermin control on 4 farms the management company run, it's a large acreage and after harvest we can cover the whole lot in one evening, given that they start ploughing it up shorty after harvest there's not much time to get a clear run at it. Previously with the .22 we'd be out most evenings trying to cover the ground around that time.

We have a number of high seats around farm and many of the guns and I enjoy using them with a rim-fire :good:

Edited by shalfordninja33

• 1 month later...

I said I was a rubbish shot which made him laugh , he then advised  for crop protection and vermin due to large amounts of crows and pigeon to which I laughed 

All was good in the end 

I said I was a rubbish shot which made him laugh , he then advised  for crop protection and vermin due to large amounts of crows and pigeon to which I laughed 

All was good in the end 

18 hours ago, Cosd said:

Just out of interest, why do you want one?

i don’t see any benefit for either pigeon nor clays. 

Of course it’s whatever floats your boat but I don’t get it other than a gun that sounds unbalanced and heavy. 

I use an fac auto on crows, farm with close to 1000 hanging around at any one time.  groups of 5+ now get thinned by more than two at best.  

8 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

I use an fac auto on crows, farm with close to 1000 hanging around at any one time.  groups of 5+ now get thinned by more than two at best.  

As above. My 8 shot is used for Corvids. I have only fired the 8 off in one go, twice, just to check the functioning of the shotgun. Usually, it's 3-4 maximum. The extra 'shots' come in handy if and when the corvids come into my pattern. One time, I had arrpox 18 coming into land, and I got 5 for 6 shots. My shotgun is balanced perfectly and is not heavy at all.

When shooting Rabbits from the buggy very often a steady stream of them will bolt from the field towards the ditch,  we tend to shoot on the first pass then turn around and collect them after, having multiple shots allows steady, controlled shooting when its easy to empty a 3 shot and miss opportunities, not the most sporting I know but when controlling them for the Farm its a case of getting done as efficiently as possible.  

2 hours ago, shalfordninja33 said:

When shooting Rabbits from the buggy very often a steady stream of them will bolt from the field towards the ditch,  we tend to shoot on the first pass then turn around and collect them after, having multiple shots allows steady, controlled shooting when its easy to empty a 3 shot and miss opportunities, not the most sporting I know but when controlling them for the Farm its a case of getting done as efficiently as possible.  

:hmm:It's not an issue I've ever had over nearly 50 years of shooting in pretty much every environment you can imagine, or I'd have got one.

Just the same, if you find it useful ATB! :good: