Introducing a new dog

Archie-fox

Afternoon all,

So after much debating and research we have decided to get another dog, we have decided on a Vizsla as a all rounder for both stalking and rough shooting, my problem is we already have a 11 year old wire fox terrier who is all but retired from the field, he just like to plod around the back of the beaters really..my concern is how do we introduce him to our home without making the fox terrier feel pushed out..Im worried the older dog may get upset if he sees the new puppy get more attention maybe.. Im still going to show Archie all the attention he wants and would never push him away to favour a new pup..but obviarsely the new dog will need training and time spending with him..any ideas? Im hoping the older dog will just accept the new dog and they will just fool about together in the house and on walks..but as Archie has been my companion for 11 years I just dont want him to feel hes being replaced..or am I just being soft??

We have 6 dogs between us. They all get their turn for fuss and attention. They line up for chew stick handouts and the know they will all get one.

It is probably easier with multiple dogs getting a new one as they are already used to sharing.

Main thing as you only have one to introduce the new one too is to make more of a fuss of your old one and give him extra attention. If he likes toys make sure he gets some new ones when the puppy gets his.

We were surprised when we got our last new one as we thought we might have to watch our Springer who is a bit of an attention seeker and clingy being a rescue. He loved the new 6 month old pup we got and adopted him.

A lot depends on how your old dog takes to the new one. If there is any signs of jealousy it might be worth getting your partner to take your older dog for a walk before you do one to one training with your new one.

Another consideration is if you are not totally stuck on a puppy is to get a young rehome in which case they can meet beforehand to see if they get on.

With a puppy you can give your older dog a snack when the puppy has his extra meals to stop food jealousy.

The things to be careful of if he is getting old is how much grief a pup will give him.

It depends a little if he is a playful 11 but a young hpr can be a bit of a devil incarnate in terms of playing rough! Odds are he will love the company but you just have to keep an eye on things