Storm Ophelia

FairImogen

The reason we have this odd light redish/orangy/pinky stuff....is not because of the colour of the dust from the sahara...it is the ammont of particulates that are in the air blocking the white light wave length ...but letting the red shift wave lenght thro..........

best explained.....

if you shine a torch thro a small fish tank full of clean water the torch light will appear white light as normal...................then introduce a handful of flour stir it up and shine the torch thro again....and the light from the torch will become red/orangy...the particulates deflecting/refracting the light...

many of you that are in their late 50's and 60's and beyond will remember the truly stunning sunsets we used to have....where folk used to put down what they were doing and go outside and wonder at the colours.....the sky would look to be onfire....red gold blue violet orange...white black streaks across the sky...............used to make the northern lights look pathetic..............

many of the industrial revelotion painters would paint / include these vistas in their canvases.................

all this disappeared with the advent of the clean air act....thus removing the majority of the particulates

sorry im being boring.. :lol:

Good stuff ditchy. Thanks for that. :good:

Strange outside a bit like something out of a horror movie.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use XC, but find that their forecasts beyond 3 days are wildly either optimistic or pessimistic; I have often seem forecasts for very high wind, or many inches of rain 6-8 days away - only to have it revised to 'normal' limits as the day approaches.

XC is probably the worst weather app known to mankind.

Yep, although I still use it on occasion I'm beginning to agree now. A few years ago when I found it it was pretty much spot on. Our local BBC forecasts had seemed to have gone to pot after the Plymouth office had moved in with the new HQs at Exeter.

The reason we have this odd light redish/orangy/pinky stuff....is not because of the colour of the dust from the sahara...it is the ammont of particulates that are in the air blocking the white light wave length ...but letting the red shift wave lenght thro..........

best explained.....

if you shine a torch thro a small fish tank full of clean water the torch light will appear white light as normal...................then introduce a handful of flour stir it up and shine the torch thro again....and the light from the torch will become red/orangy...the particulates deflecting/refracting the light...

many of you that are in their late 50's and 60's and beyond will remember the truly stunning sunsets we used to have....where folk used to put down what they were doing and go outside and wonder at the colours.....the sky would look to be onfire....red gold blue violet orange...white black streaks across the sky...............used to make the northern lights look pathetic..............

many of the industrial revelotion painters would paint / include these vistas in their canvases.................

all this disappeared with the advent of the clean air act....thus removing the majority of the particulates

Well thats one way of battering your fish :lol:

Heading out to work from the depot at around 1pm I noticed the sky had a very strange colour to it and the light was, to say the least, strange. Honestly it was almost alien, I could well have believed I'd been slipped some kind of psychedelic substance it was that surreal. Difficult, if not impossible to truly describe. Then I caught a glimpse of the sun, just a red/orange ball in the sky, again very strange.

I figured it was something to do with the storm that has hit Ireland and according to the news the effect was caused by sand swept up from the Sahara and carried along with the storm.

Did anyone else see this phenomina this afternoon?

Heading out to work from the depot at around 1pm I noticed the sky had a very strange colour to it and the light was, to say the least, strange. Honestly it was almost alien, I could well have believed I'd been slipped some kind of psychedelic substance it was that surreal. Difficult, if not impossible to truly describe. Then I caught a glimpse of the sun, just a red/orange ball in the sky, again very strange.

I figured it was something to do with the storm that has hit Ireland and according to the news the effect was caused by sand swept up from the Sahara and carried along with the storm.

Did anyone else see this phenomina this afternoon?

See the PW thread......"storm Ophelia"

best explained.....

NAH!! Your never boring Ditchy ...BUT :-)

Yep, although I still use it on occasion I'm beginning to agree now. A few years ago when I found it it was pretty much spot on. Our local BBC forecasts had seemed to have gone to pot after the Plymouth office had moved in with the new HQs at Exeter.

xcweather was originally aimed at pilots

it gives a graphical representation of METARs ( "Meteorological Aerodrome Report")

the forecast data is mainly TAFs ("Terminal Aerodrome Forecast") which are made by the local forecaster at the airport ,but could be many hours out of date especially at the weekend.

With many airports losing their local forecaster the data is becoming a remote guesstimate.

Driving towards Norwich at just before 4pm sky turned a funny grey tinged with red and had to put headlights on. Apparently it was clouds laced with Sahara sand and Spanish ash from forest fires. Very scary at first. I wondered if Donald Duck and Rocket Man had started their big fireworks display.

Yep

Was sat in the garden earlier catching some ‘rays’ when it went a bit dull, next thing I know I have been transported back in time when everything seemed to be in Sepia tone

Anyone else had a bad night with little sleep due to Ophelia. Had all sorts debris clanging off the house, bedroom window banging like drum with bits hitting it slates not so much chattering but rattling and banging. I have a view for miles from the back of our house to the Cleveland hills and the wind been coming from this direction.

Edited by figgy