CBT

lopylui

Just finished my CBT after 4 years away, I must say it was just like riding a bike... I started the day on a Honda CG125, a little on the small side for a 6'3" 18 stone gorilla like myself. Few hours later and everyone was finished with the off road manoeuvres in the carpark whizzing around the cones and we were signing the forms to cover insurance before heading out on the open road... So I left the office to be greeted by a different motorcycle now an even smaller suzuki 125, again not ideal with legs as long as mine, turns out the Honda had a snapped swing arm! I wouldn't have known... well on with the day; new bike totally different riding position and im sure they forgot to install the power back in the factory... S l o w. Anhwho back to business, got comfortable with the bike and its a good job I did, riding along on a 30 Road with a bus parked in the opposite lane with a que of traffic behind it 100yards in front and an old fellow parked at a give way on the left, for some reason as I approached the junction the silly old bar stooled pulled out on me! Emergency stop!!! Well being displeased but being watched I shook my head and left it at that only to see in my mirror both the instructor and other student flipping him the bird for me :lol: :lol: :lol: The rest of the day was a pleasure thankfully with plenty of free hot bevvys and good company. Now I think its time for a new helmet and jacket so any recommendations welcome, ill be looking for a 'tennis ball' style helmet or maybe just plain old white eh... Jacket has to be available in 3Xl. Has anyone else got a motorcycle story to share today?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One area not to skimp on is that helmet mate.I know you won't be going fast but every other idiot around you will.Use all of you side of the road (your entitled too).Dont feel you have to be hogging the curb as the idiots pulling out simply won't see you (they are only looking for cars,fact)

Be safe and enjoy,nothing like a bike.

You don't have to go wild with money for a helmet, you can get some quality helmets at a very good price, I recently got an airoh full face, gold stamp and 5 star rated protection (can't remember what the name is) for 130 quid. I will say 1 thing, it's a nasty habit to start... You need to make sure you have hiding spaces for bikes because your Mrs will kill you otherwise :lol: or get ones that are the same colour and hope she doesn't notice! As a biker for years who commutes and racks up some miles remember, everyone on the road is an idiot. Keep that in your head and you will do well! Enjoy the freedom ;)

I did my CBT on Saturday as well mate :) never riden a motorcycle before, well until I booked it and I panicked so went up my mates farm and rode his Suzuki van van round the field learning to go up and down the gears.

Did my CBT on a Honda CG 125 - passed it lovely :) had a great laugh all day with the instructor taking the mick out of each other.

Gotta find a bike now!

I did my CBT on Saturday as well mate :) never riden a motorcycle before, well until I booked it and I panicked so went up my mates farm and rode his Suzuki van van round the field learning to go up and down the gears.

Did my CBT on a Honda CG 125 - passed it lovely :) had a great laugh all day with the instructor taking the mick out of each other.

Gotta find a bike now!

Top job bud, dont be afraid to get your hands dirty with a bit of back yard mechanics. Guessing you will be going 125 bike? You can find bikes with reputable names for £300 needing some work... Best thing is there a piece of piddle to work on and parts are cheap, that way when your ready to sell after a few years you can still get back double what you paid all for a few hours on the tools.

Top job bud, dont be afraid to get your hands dirty with a bit of back yard mechanics. Guessing you will be going 125 bike? You can find bikes with reputable names for £300 needing some work... Best thing is there a piece of piddle to work on and parts are cheap, that way when your ready to sell after a few years you can still get back double what you paid all for a few hours on the tools.

Bloody hell think you might be more skilled than me lol

Yer going for a 125 geared bike hopefully, I liked the Honda CG 125 I might try and get one of them

Only want something for couple months as I'm hoping I'll be able to pass the full test around next summer :)

I passed my test in 1977, started riding a 175cc bike in 1973 aged 16. (Legal then).

Had bikes ever since , so my tips are.

Good lid yes, but don't skimp on gloves. Your hands are the first things you try to break your fall with.

Same with boots, grinding your toes down to bloody stumps, because you put trainers on, aint alot of fun.

Always,check when crossing junctions, traffic lights etc , it may be your right of way , but you will be

just as dead if some numpty runs a red light ! I've lost two mates in ten years this way.

But , don't let me put you off, congratulations on passing your CBT, its great fun!

Bloody hell think you might be more skilled than me lol

Yer going for a 125 geared bike hopefully, I liked the Honda CG 125 I might try and get one of them

Only want something for couple months as I'm hoping I'll be able to pass the full test around next summer :)

If you want something fun I recommend a Honda Xr125 with the normal wheels not those little super moto wheels (taken straight from a scooter by the look of it) and that way you can send it me in post when your done ;):lol: the new yamaha ones are nice too Wr125 I belive or go a bit older with a dt125.

+1 for getting decent protective kit, I've been knocked off mine twice in 20+ years, both times at sub 20mph (me), both times 3rd party found liable in court, both times hospitalised (thankfully not major, dislocated shoulder, broken wrist, punctured leg and other bits and pieces, cuts and bruises)

I Would not trade my bike for anything though, living in South London/Surrey its the only way to get anywhere, the roads are full and public transport takes forever.

Just one thing I would counsel, Never, Never be tempted to pass traffic by going the wrong side of keep left traffic islands, I have seen this twice, where vehicles pulling out to turn left so as to come towards you are not expecting a bike on their side of the road and consequently accelerate straight into a head on. (both times were pizza delivery, one fatal)

Enjoy your bike but never get complacent

Hi Congratulations on your CBT

if commuting (mine 15 miles each way) think about big wheel scooter. less hassle than a geared bike also get quotes for slightly smaller cc eg Honda 110

almost same performance much cheaper insurance

i found WEiss jacket on Ebay, removable insert for summer winter very good protection when i had to drop the bike at about 20mph to avoid T boning a van that cut across me

defo get a FULL FACE helmet with jaw hinge for easy put on and conversing with other road users! if you wear glasses go the extra mile get a drop down black visor (it will be the closest you get to being Tom Cruise) as it will save needing to get prescription sunglasses.

accept you will come off at some point, think carefully about making sure your insurance is quality as chasing up third parties is expensive! put the voice recorder on your phone on the front screen. I once had a muppet who opened his door on me accuse me of crashing into him uttering threats and with his g/f calling old bill saying I had threatened them ( i had infact asked for his details) as soon as the incident happened i started the recording by pressing the app and and leaving it in my shirt top pocket with my jacket open.

i remained calm and when old bill arrived i explained i had recorded incident with my phone. old bill didnt listen to it but did tell them i had recorded all the conversations at which point they suddenly changed their story! and exchanged details lol

you must be ready for the unexpected as it will happen

take care

cheers

Passed my test in 81 (no cbt in those days) was Sept so two months after 17th birthday. Bike was Honda xl125. Test taken at Southport as there waiting list was short. Examiner stands on pavement says "go down there turn left at junction then left at crossroads then left at traffic lights at some point I will signal for you to do emergency stop"

Off I go watching speed and trying to do everything right. Follow the route and just after the lights examiner jumps out of a shop doorway into the road (well kerb) and holds clip board up, I slam my drum brakes on and eventually stop. Examiner tells me "well done son, you have passed"

That was it, full licence issued....suzuki katana came next 😁

I did the DAS for mine! The CBT obv on day one! Did that on an SR125. You couldn't stop me. I had been riding mopeds since 87. But never bothered as I never saw the need in a full bike licence when I passed the car! I then had access to moped full license too. It wasn't until a girlfriend started her DAS thatvI decided to go for it myself. The idea being we could go out together. I bought a GPZ600R and had it in the kitchen stripped to rebuild. She bought a old Suzuki katana.

Anyway I flew through the course and applied for my test date! The date I chose fell on my birthday! And I was buzzing when I passed. Her test was a week later! So on her test day I dropped her off at the instructors, and waited in a cafe. She walked in head down and not too good. She had failed, but wouldn't say what on! So i told her to put in for the test again, and have more lessons in the meantime. This she did. But she failed again? I asked repeatedly but she would not let me know what on? she said she couldn't afford to keep going, so I offered to pay to let her try again. She refused and went into a mega strop. Not long after that we broke up! I have a sneaking suspicion. But it's not going to change the outcome of our relationship! She now passed her car test a few year back, and has a good job! She was in touch recently updating me on things, and how her daughter is doing at uni etc. Good luck to her and her daughter! I am pleased she has done so well in her life. But it's a shame she never passed her bike test.

I rode quite a few large bikes since passing. But I still have a soft spot for small bore bikes. Mopeds, scooters, 50cc trails bikes? The bigger bikes don't have as much interest?